Chicken suddenly unable to walk, any advice?

Sandstorm495

Songster
7 Years
Dec 2, 2012
Darwin, Australia
A couple of days ago, we noticed that one of our chickens was laying on the ground of the run, and wasn't getting up. We've set up a 'bed' for it in the wheelbarrow with some blankets, given it food and water, but it seems to have completely lost the use of its legs. Other than that it seems perfectly normal, alert, and drinking water whenever its offered (although she is not eating much). It actually seems thirsty (which is unusual, since any of our other sick chickens refused to drink water unless forced). Another thing is that it doesn't seem to be able to see all that well, as it was missing the food bowl and only drinks water when guided to it. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

Last edited:
Let's hope someone more experienced pops in here, I know they can first show symptoms when younger than a year, but I think they can show them at any point, it causes tumors that causes paralysis, usually in the legs first. Otherwise there are things like botulism that can cause neurological problems, eating moldy feed could cause that.

Check if her pupils react to light. Is she lying on the floor like she is doing splits? If both things do not apply, its unlikely that she has mareks.

Give her highly concentrated vitamin b (should be available in every pharmacy or supermarket).
You could also give her one of this multivitamin supplements into her drinking water.

The symptoms are fitting for SERIOUS vitamin b shortage.

Keep us updated please!

Last edited:
Check if her pupils react to light. Is she lying on the floor like she is doing splits? If both things do not apply, its unlikely that she has mareks.

Give her highly concentrated vitamin b (should be available in every pharmacy or supermarket).
You could also give her one of this multivitamin supplements into her drinking water.

The symptoms are fitting for SERIOUS vitamin b shortage.

Keep us updated please!
Thanks for the advice. She is reacting to light and her legs seem normal enough - as in she isn't doing the splits. We are going to try and give her some Vitamin B later on and see how she goes, and will keep updating.

I would suspect Mareks also, but try a poultry multivitamin to add to the water. Usually Mareks strikes at a younger age, but if she has been exposed to a carrier of Mareks for at least 3 weeks, and unvaccinated bird could contract the disease at any age. Place her close to her food and water.

I have a hen that is suddenly just laying around. When I picked her up, her head kind of dangles and she flops a bit. I lost a rooster a couple of months ago also. What is Maracks?

I have a hen that is suddenly just laying around. When I picked her up, her head kind of dangles and she flops a bit. I lost a rooster a couple of months ago also. What is Maracks?
yours sounds like botulism, consuming moldy feed.

I would suspect Mareks also, but try a poultry multivitamin to add to the water. Usually Mareks strikes at a younger age, but if she has been exposed to a carrier of Mareks for at least 3 weeks, and unvaccinated bird could contract the disease at any age. Place her close to her food and water.
I thought her age was about 4 years old, but it turns out she's actually about 6 or 7. She's just been given some meat, she was having trouble 'connecting'with her food, and kept missing it although she still seemed quite alert ,eager to eat, and perked up more after finishing the meat. She drinks whenever offered, and seems very thirsty, which has led me to something I forgot to mention before. I was wondering whether it was poison, as we later discovered some rat poison in the coop, and this was after we found her sitting outside the coop, and unable to stand up.
She has been trying to get up a lot, and every now and then flaps her wings to steady her herself as she tries to stand up.
If it is Mareks though, how likely is it that she will survive, and if it's likely that she will eventually die, is there anything I can do that will make her more comfortable or should she be put down?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom