Chicken suddenly unable to walk, any advice?

I use pic pipe and only put none scoop in each pipe which they either eat or spread out all over the coop. Do I need to clean the floor every day?

Sheesh....should read before I hit send. That should read pvc pipe and one scoop

Sheesh....should read before I hit send. That should read pvc pipe and one scoop
I was wondering, they could pick up a bit of moldy food anywhere, I would look around and make sure I don't see or smell any, you could do a quick search on here about botulism, it's often called limber neck.

I was wondering, they could pick up a bit of moldy food anywhere, I would look around and make sure I don't see or smell any, you could do a quick search on here about botulism, it's often called limber neck.

I use hay in the nesting boxes. Could that be it? What's the best thing to use? I have had these kids for over two years and this just started happening. Wondering now about the rubber dog dish I'm using for their water too.

I use hay in the nesting boxes. Could that be it? What's the best thing to use? I have had these kids for over two years and this just started happening. Wondering now about the rubber dog dish I'm using for their water too.
I personally would do a cleaning of all dishes, and if you store your feed in a metal can check that, and smell the feed to make sure it smells right. I don't think they can get it from moldy hay, that would probably be something respiratory, it also could just be some moldy produce if you feed treats outside, hopefully it's limited to the one.

Sandstorm495, I think right now since the disease she has is really an unknown, that I would make sure that she is getting plenty of food and water, and given supportive care. She also may just be getting old, and if her eyes are bad, she may not be getting to her food and water. Most chickens eventually of Mareks, but not all die right away. If you haven't added new birds recently, then I would put that disease on the back burner for now. If you really think she may have eaten rat poison, you could try to give her vitamin K to counteract that. Kale chopped into small pieces is rich in vitamin K.

Last edited:
Well, I think right now since the disease she has is really an unknown, that I would make sure that she is getting plenty of food and water, and given supportive care. She also may just be getting old, and if her eyes are bad, she may not be getting to her food and water. Most chickens eventually of Mareks, but not all die right away. If you haven't added new birds recently, then I would put that disease on the back burner for now. If you really think she may have eaten rat poison, you could try to give her vitamin K to counteract that. Kale chopped into small pieces is rich in vitamin K.

Thonks for the suggestions. No new birds have been added - she is one of the two remaining hens we have had now for many years, so if it is Mareks, I was wondering how she could be exposed to it. It does seem a bit strange though. - she has not lost any weight, she's not lethargic, or anything else, she just can't stand up, and doesn't seem to be able to see properly, although she acts quite alert. We'll just continue to feed her, give her water, and give her some vitamins and see if she improves.

I personally would do a cleaning of all dishes, and if you store your feed in a metal can check that, and smell the feed to make sure it smells right. I don't think they can get it from moldy hay, that would probably be something respiratory, it also could just be some moldy produce if you feed treats outside, hopefully it's limited to the one.

Well she is still alive this morning! And there was a small egg behind her. I'm wondering now if it was stuck. How do I tell, in the future, if a hen has an egg stuck and how would I get it out?

Back
Top Bottom