Chicken suddenly won't move and keeps closing eyes

Oct 28, 2018
So I we are newbies to raising chickens. We bought them in April around easter. They are various types of brown hens (7 to be exact)....and we inadvertently got 1 brown rooster (supposed to be a hen).

They started laying in September. Then this morning, we let them out of their roosting place (a shed we turned into their nightly coop), and this morning everything seemed fine as they roamed and ate grass and drank.

Then when we went out to collect the eggs a little later, one of the hens wouldn't move and kept closing its eyes. I have gone out to check on her, and she is still in one place, and keeps closing her eyes. I am worried as I don't know what to do and what is wrong. Please any help would be greatly appreciated. I really do love these birds.

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.) - They are brown hens

2) What is the behavior, exactly. - See above
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? - Exhibiting symptoms a few hours.
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? - No
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. - Not that I see
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. - Nothing I know of.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. - They eat grass, their layer pellets, oyster shells, and occasional grit, and bread as a treat sometimes.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. - Not sure about the poop
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? - Nothing yet
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? - I just want her to get better whatever that means
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use - House in a shed with shavings and their laying beds are in there.

They don't start to exhibit symptoms like that till they are quite ill.
Always separate sick birds from the flock immediately to limit spread of disease.
Put the bird in a warm environment (75F+) and make sure it stays hydrated.
Give us your location. Be prepared to send the bird to your state/country poultry diagnostic lab if it dies so you know which of the hundreds of possibilities killed the bird.

Get some electrolytes with vitamins in the water or give some Poultry NutriDrench 2-3 drops daily. Offer water frequently in a small cup. Feel of her crop to check if it is empty or full, soft, hard, or puffy, since crop problems can make them very ill. Check for a stuck egg (egg binding) by inserting a finger into the vent up to 2 inches (it should feel soft normally.) Look under and around her vent for lice or mites, or eggs. Separate her on some paper towels or puppy pads to catch her droppings. Pictures are welcome.

If her crop is normal, offer her some cooked egg, chicken feed made wet with water, and favorite treats to see if she will eat.

Back
Top Bottom