Chicken survived fox attack

Shaw117

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 23, 2013
One of my chickens was attacked by a fox this morning. We thought the fox got her but she's came back 3 hours later with a couple of puncture wounds, no blood at all. There is a little bit of clear fluid oozing at the wound sites. She is acting eating/drinking/behaving normally; even laid an egg after the attack. We gave her electrolytes in her water and put peroxide/ triple antibiotic ointment on her wounds. Is there anything else I should be doing? I heard about antibiotics since she was bitten but her wounds don't look very deep so I don't know if it's necessary. We have two other chickens and they weren't bothering her so we didn't isolate her.

Any info is greatly appreciated!!

She is very lucky to have survived the attack. Puncture wounds can become infected and abscess fairly easily if not cleaned and kept open for a couple of days. I would clean with betadine, and try to open the puncture wounds with a Q-Tip for 2 days, and apply antibiotic ointment each time. Watch for any puffiness and redness at the wound sight for a couple of days.

Back
Top Bottom