Chicken sweaters?

McPickle88

Songster
Oct 29, 2021
Murfreesboro, TN
Anyone use chicken sweaters to keep chickens wounds protected from pecking and to keep gauze on? I am a HUGE crocheter and thinking of making them for my 2 injured hens. Once is bad off and I can't keep gauze on it and the other is not bad but she is pecking herself.

Sweaters actually don't help keep chickens warm, it prevents it because they need to be able to ruffle their feathers and such. A huge disappointment 😭 as I am a big big night crocheter as well. Maybe do it for protection but if it's roos that are doing it, your gonna want to do single crochets all around, cause if a toe nail got stuck in there.... 😐 Bad thing may happen. I want to crochet my chickens hammocks and other stupid stuff like that but I'm just terrified of their nails getting caught in it and then they freak out and end up just getting stuck until I can save them... Then again I'm a huge worry wart.. .

Here is Camilla! She is the badly injured one! I had to tighten after thos photo. She is so tiny and probably lost weight from trauma.

Attachments

• 20211112_135941.jpg
    20211112_135941.jpg
    409.7 KB · Views: 3
The badly wounded one is missing the skin down to the meat on her back from either a hawk or my dog and the other was attacked by dog and has a small wound.
Ah ok. Are the injured birds pecking the wounds themselves or are other birds?

Sweaters actually don't help keep chickens warm, it prevents it because they need to be able to ruffle their feathers and such. A huge disappointment 😭 as I am a big big night crocheter as well. Maybe do it for protection but if it's roos that are doing it, your gonna want to do single crochets all around, cause if a toe nail got stuck in there.... 😐 Bad thing may happen. I want to crochet my chickens hammocks and other stupid stuff like that but I'm just terrified of their nails getting caught in it and then they freak out and end up just getting stuck until I can save them... Then again I'm a huge worry wart.. .
Yea.... i am worried about the nails as well. But, it not for heat it is for protection from pecking. I plan on keeping the 2 injured inside till they heel. But, I don't want them pecking each other.

Back
Top Bottom