CHICKEN SWING

Haha, That's pretty funny. So it's true chickens have the intelligence of a four year old. I put a skateboard in my backyard a couple of days ago and my chickens are just starting to notice it... they've seen me stand on it so they're slowly trying.

A lot of smaller pet birds enjoy a swing..so why not chickens.

Boy, when they jump off, that thing goes 'flying'!

A lot of smaller pet birds enjoy a swing..so why not chickens.

Boy, when they jump off, that thing goes 'flying'!

Yes, some of the dismounts can get crazy! you want to be careful where you mount it. Give plenty of room around it. generally the other fowl in the coop seem to keep an eye on it.

If you are going to make one out of wood you need to watch that the place where you screw in to dose not get loose and the perch dose not fly off and hit a bird. A heavy log may not be the best resource.

The chain kind of worries me as well. some times a loop will form during a dismount I would worry about a bird getting caught up But I tend to worry about my chickens a lot...Things are going to happen I just don't want it to be something I did not think through.

I have been studying this for over four years, testing different designs with different fowl. Peafowl like it too!

My chickens love it too! I just hung up a branch with rope - works great and they use it all the time.

Mine show NO interest it the swing at all, been in there at least a week.

Um..do you have a PIC of the swing you set up, and it's installation in your coop?
your design might be to unstable or maybe you need to adjust your placement.

How many hens do you have?

It could also be that when you go out to look they jump off to greet you and just do not get a chance to see them.
Generally, you should not force them to use it. That can make them fearful of it.

I would be happy to help you figure it out...It might just take a little bit more time.

Mine have ignored their swing after the initial interest they showed in it. They also pretty much ignore the new, very, very fine perch I built for them in the back wing of the run. This is pretty much chicken SOP. I've noticed they're exactly like cats in this regard. They'll get used to it being around, and one day, suddenly will start using The New Thing,

By the way, I could see where the chains suspending the swing might do a backlash in the even of a vigorous dismount. It was a simple matter to install a stabilizer about eighteen inches above the swing perch to hold the chains apart. Alternatively, I could also run the chain through some old garden hose up about eighteen inches to hold the chains rigid, or even wrap the chain in duct tape until it's rigid.

Back
Top Bottom