Chicken tags?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by delta2004, Jan 17, 2017.

1. delta2004

delta2004 New Egg

Jan 17, 2017
    I would really like to tag my chickens, I have tried rainbow loom bands, but the other chicken will chase them and try to peck it off.Any suggestions?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    For chicks out of the shell, I use colored zip ties, changing regularly. When they're big enough I use colored/numbered bandettes.
    Wing bands are very effective but you have to be able to catch the bird to read them.
    The bandettes sometimes come off but by changing the color each year, I know the age of the bird at a distance and I can get close enough to read the numbers without handling the birds.

3. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    I use bandettes too. They come in many sizes and color choices. I've 4 sizes, two for growing ages and one each for full grown pullets and cockerels. Being NPIP all my birds are banded by the state each year but the bandettes work well keeping parentage separate until the permanent bands are on.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I use small zipties right out of the bator, changing 3-4 times as they grow.
    Different colors for different crosses and alternating legs for each year.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/leg-banding-with-zipties

They can peck at them at first, each others and their own, but usually quit pretty quick once they get used to them and find they can't eat them.

Looked up the loom bands, don't think they are a good choice.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by