~chicken talk~

murdeb

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 17, 2011
Sebastian, FL
Does anyone understand chicken talk? By this I mean, do chickens make different sounds for different reasons? Like a cat or dog? You can usually tell whats going on with your pet based on how they are vocalizing.

I've figured out that when my roo makes a growling noise, it means either he doesnt think I should be playing ball with my dog so close to his girls OR he suspects danger and is warning everyone (tho they may be one in the same)

the low chirping noise is his way of enticing the girls to come check out something he has found

the loud, anxious cackle from my hens means someone is about to lay an egg

and the loud tapping noise on my back door means, "Hey! Food Lady! Where's my grapes??"

lol i dont understand it but yea they talk mine do a almost growl when i buggin them. they make a startled noise and they also do a dif he this is a good treat to eat noise lol

Distinct vocalizations can indicate many of the following.

Ground threat
Aerial threat
High danger version for either of above

Food item
Lots of food items
Possibly something about quality or type as well.
Taste nasty so do not eat it (hens to chicks)

Hey baby (rooster to hen)
Hey baby (hen to rooster) sounds very different

Do not touch me
Do not touch me!
Get away or I will flog

Where are you? I am here contact calls. (Some are long-distance, some are short distance)
Follow me
All is well

Settle down and sleep
Come to roost
Prepare to leave roost (fly down)
Launch!

Get out of my way
Call to arms (individual calls up flockmates to engage another group)

Hurts!
I giveup, I am a wuss
I am being attacked, be aware

Lots more likely

Thanks everyone! Right off the bat I did notice a distinct difference in their personalities! We have only had them one month so in time we should understand "chicken talk"!

Back
Top Bottom