Chicken testicles-Warning. Pictures of raw meat.

Quote:
th.gif

Quote:
Are you talking about the spongy pickish red stuff? I thought that was lung.

Nope...the pinkish red stuff is lungs. Behind these, farther down and and behind where the kidneys may lay is a layer of darker red tissue that you will find on thigh meat pieces, not in the rib cage but by the pelvic/lumbar spine. Kidneys actually have a kidney bean shape and can be isolated from the rest of the organs, whereas the tissue I am talking about lies close to the spine and lies behind a thin membrane.

When you are processing, you may dig this tissue out and not see it when the meat is cooked, but commercial processing leaves this in. We always called this "the good stuff" and I still try to get those pieces so that I can have it. I leave it in when I process just for this purpose.

Bee, can you find a pic of what you have identified as the kidneys? I think you may be mistaking some other organ for kidneys, because those long dark red things embedded in the lower back, in that 1st pic, above, are the kidneys. The spleen almost looks like a kidney, but it's a bit rounder, and there's only 1 per bird.

Last edited:
hmmm interesting thread... I like that greyish spongy meat in the thigh joints and between the vertebra. My DW says I'd eat the bone if I could. As for giblets I tried gizzards and didn't care for them, I have also tried mountain oysters and didn't care for them either. I have caught alot of nice cat fish on raw livers though lol. Thread also caught my eye because I'm looking into trying to caponize once I have a few cockerls I could posibly spare, some of these pics will help.

Last edited:
I wonder if there are any good recipes for these "Chicken's nuggets"?

I'd be game to try it once. I spent some time in FR on an internship, so I've eaten many a thing that is considered inedible here (and many a thing I *still* consider inedible).

If I find a good recipe, maybe I'll save up and make a mess of them for the next poultry show I attend.
smile.png

I've eaten sliced, battered and fried steer testicles and they tasted JUST like clam strips. I would probably prepare chicken testicles the same. With ketchup. LOL! My cats and dogs love eating the occasional rabbit, squirrel, etc testicle. The testosterone will not make them aggressive.

LOL!!! i bet all us chicken eaters have eaten those parts at on time or another. Especially if you eat hot dogs made with chicken. I like the soft livery stuff up inside the back, so chances are I've ate testicles and didn't even know it. i't's all good.

Quote:
No doubt you're right, I'm sure we've all eaten all kinds of stuff we didn't know we were eating!

Marymac, if you look at my post on page 4 in this thread, there's pic from Cornell, that shows the liverish looking stuff, it's the kidneys.

Last edited:
Interesting.. Each year my husband goes to the Wild Game feed. And each time someone new goes along which they do not allow women in BTW. They make them eat Rocky Mountain Oysters. (bull balls) My brothe in law went and went for thirds on the balls ..
sickbyc.gif

Back
Top Bottom