Chicken that "honks"?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Rusty's Ranch, May 4, 2009.

1. Rusty's Ranch

Rusty's Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    So Cal
    We have 2 RIR's that are about 11 - 12 weeks old. One chirps and clucks like a proper lady - the other one has been "honking" lately. Is that normal? She appears to be healthy, but sounds like a goose! Could she have a lung problem (she doesn't have a runny nose or sound conjested).

Anyone else have a honking chicken?

2. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Olympia Washington
    LOL - No, I don't have a honking chick, but that would be hilarious. She would fit right in with my 10 wk old EE who hasn't yet perfected his crow.

3. The Wolf Queen

The Wolf Queen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hiya. I think that is normal for younger chickens. Last year my black cochin banty roo did the same thing [​IMG] Everytime he got scared or tryed to crow I thought something had set off my car alarm [​IMG]. I would say no worriesit should clear up in a few weeks or months. Not sure which LOL.

4. Rusty's Ranch

Mar 25, 2009
    So Cal
    That's one of my worries -- do I have a rooster? I've been told that at this age, Penny should have more of a comb if "she" were really a "he". Her comb is still close to the head and still yellow.

5. silkieluver

silkieluver Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2009
    Pleasant Garden, NC
    I have 2 black silkies that "honk", its the funniest sound I've heard from them. They are 5 & 6 months old, I am pretty sure they are pullets, so I don't think they are trying to crow. Just honking.

6. MichiganWoods

MichiganWoods DD (Artistic Digital Diva)

Oct 6, 2008
    West Michigan
    One of my EE hens honked like a goose as she was growing up. She hasn't done it in quite some time though. Ever since she started laying, the "egg song" has sort of taken over her honking urge.

7. Rusty's Ranch

Mar 25, 2009
    So Cal
    That's a relief -- in my crazy brain, I figured I put too much DE in the coop and rotted her lungs out [​IMG]

There is so much to learn the first time around ... I'm glad we have this board to run to when things get scary!

Thanks,
    Sonia

8. pinguin

pinguin Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2009
    SW IL
    I've 3 RIR pullets between 10 & 12 weeks old. The oldest honk. And so did my RIR hens when they were the same age, last summer. Chalk it up to adolescence & their voices changing from peeps to bawks.

The boys squawk, but I've never heard one honk like the girls do. When the boys' voices change, they'll be crowing.

9. Rusty's Ranch

Mar 25, 2009
    So Cal
    Thank you all for your input. I've been worried I did something wrong, but now I see it's just how she's gonna be for now.

Until the next "drama" ... [​IMG]

10. sueg6255

sueg6255 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    LaGrange County
    I have an EE Rooster that honked when he first tryied to crow. His name is Honker.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by