Chicken that "honks"?

Rusty's Ranch

Songster
10 Years
Mar 25, 2009
So Cal
We have 2 RIR's that are about 11 - 12 weeks old. One chirps and clucks like a proper lady - the other one has been "honking" lately. Is that normal? She appears to be healthy, but sounds like a goose! Could she have a lung problem (she doesn't have a runny nose or sound conjested).

Anyone else have a honking chicken?

Hiya. I think that is normal for younger chickens. Last year my black cochin banty roo did the same thing
ya.gif
Everytime he got scared or tryed to crow I thought something had set off my car alarm
tongue2.gif
. I would say no worriesit should clear up in a few weeks or months. Not sure which LOL.

That's one of my worries -- do I have a rooster? I've been told that at this age, Penny should have more of a comb if "she" were really a "he". Her comb is still close to the head and still yellow.

I have 2 black silkies that "honk", its the funniest sound I've heard from them. They are 5 & 6 months old, I am pretty sure they are pullets, so I don't think they are trying to crow. Just honking.

One of my EE hens honked like a goose as she was growing up. She hasn't done it in quite some time though. Ever since she started laying, the "egg song" has sort of taken over her honking urge.

That's a relief -- in my crazy brain, I figured I put too much DE in the coop and rotted her lungs out
tongue.png

There is so much to learn the first time around ... I'm glad we have this board to run to when things get scary!

Thanks,
Sonia

I've 3 RIR pullets between 10 & 12 weeks old. The oldest honk. And so did my RIR hens when they were the same age, last summer. Chalk it up to adolescence & their voices changing from peeps to bawks.

The boys squawk, but I've never heard one honk like the girls do. When the boys' voices change, they'll be crowing.

Thank you all for your input. I've been worried I did something wrong, but now I see it's just how she's gonna be for now.

Until the next "drama" ...
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom