Chicken that waddles like a duck

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by clugrad1988, Feb 11, 2009.

1. clugrad1988

clugrad1988 New Egg

Feb 11, 2009
    I have noticed one of my year old chickens waddling like a duck. She is keeping her tail down and trying to walk like that, so she looks like a duck. Her appetite is good, her vent looks fine. I am just not sure what is going on. Can anyone help me?

2. bkbuz1987

bkbuz1987 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I have a waddler too, but I think it's because she's nice and plump [​IMG]

3. LovinMyChickies

LovinMyChickies Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2008
    Redding, California
    Keep a close eye on her. Penguin walking is a sign of being eggbound.
    I just lost one a few weeks ago. Do a search for "eggbound" and there's tons of info on it.

Good luck, I hope she's just "plump".

Jackie

4. clugrad1988

clugrad1988 New Egg

Feb 11, 2009
    No, she is not just plump. Infact she is not plump at all. She just started this, so I know this is not normal. I looked at her vent, it looks fine. How do I check if she is eggbound?
    I did notice her abdomen area seems kinda filled with fluid, it doesn't feel normal to me, like it is weighing her down.

5. nettifer

nettifer Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    did you find out what was wrong with her? i have 1 just the same ![​IMG] and i have tried everything i keep her in the warm at night she goes in a pen in the day [​IMG]its been 5 days now shes bright eyed alert eating and drinking a little, but thin! breastbone sticking out ,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by