Chicken throwing up, hiccuping, acting different

Lorilingon

In the Brooder
Feb 15, 2021
I have a hen, about 11 months old, that has been standoffish to the others for a few days. I didn’t think that much of it becasue she’s the most timid of the flock. Last night she didn’t go in the coop for bedtime so I went out and got her. Felt her chest and didn’t feel and hard lump. Put her in the coop for bed and saw that she was almost acting like she had hiccups, but also turning her head and puffing her neck quite a bit. This morning she didn’t seem interested when the food came out. Brought her in and offered her bread soaked in olive oil- she didn’t want it. Mixed some scratch mix with olive oil and she ate that, but now has twice thrown up a slimy clear liquid. Any ideas what’s wrong? She hasn’t laid since it got quite cold- several weeks. The rest of the flock seems healthy and is acting normal. Liquid next to her in the box is the throw up. She also just had a very runny poop.

Attachments

• D0BF0098-E593-4B5A-8B1B-ED79878A0EC7.jpeg
    D0BF0098-E593-4B5A-8B1B-ED79878A0EC7.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 15
Did you feel her crop? Is it soft, empty, or full?
What color was the poop, can you take a picture of it?
Did you check her all over? Has she lost weight, or are there any other changes.
Had she been laying eggs regularly?
Keep her separated from the other hens for now, and in a warm place.
Give her some electrolytes in her water and I would give her Nutri-Drench.

Welcome To BYC
Sounds like she may have sour crop or it may be impacted. I would start with offering her coconut oil as described in this article. The yeast cream will likely be beneficial as well.
Is she pooping? I would also feel of her abdomen below her vent for swelling or fluid since crop issues are often a symptom of an underlying condition. Reproductive problems can be a common cause along with worms, so consider getting a fecal float to check for worms.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Thanks everyone for the advice. We did some more massage and olive oil treats last night throughout the evening, and she seems to be getting better. I’ve ordered the Drench and antifungal but will have to pick it up tonight or tomorrow AM as we’re in the midst of a blizzard right now and my street hasn’t been cleared. I will look for some coconut oil, too. The crop feels smaller and soft, and the particles/lumps originally felt have now moved through. She’s pooping quite a bit now and it is very watery, but I suspect that’s becasue she’s been drinking quite a bit with very limited food offered. Thr hiccuping/neck craning has also ceased.

Thanks everyone for the advice. We did some more massage and olive oil treats last night throughout the evening, and she seems to be getting better. I’ve ordered the Drench and antifungal but will have to pick it up tonight or tomorrow AM as we’re in the midst of a blizzard right now and my street hasn’t been cleared. I will look for some coconut oil, too. The crop feels smaller and soft, and the particles/lumps originally felt have now moved through. She’s pooping quite a bit now and it is very watery, but I suspect that’s becasue she’s been drinking quite a bit with very limited food offered. Thr hiccuping/neck craning has also ceased.
Glad to hear she's improving! Keep it up. I would still limit the food to a little wet feed and a small treat of scrambled eggs for another day (easy to process). Hopefully this will be resolved soon.

Back
Top Bottom