Chicken Tips - Take a Tip, Leave a Tip

Heated dog bowls that you can buy at walmart works great for area`s that have freezing weather,thats what I used last winter and they worked great,kept them in the coop and had no problems with frozen water.

I know this won't apply to most of us but IF you haven't started your flock yet and are still planning. Build your run such that it's predator proof. I'm in CA and fortunate that the largest critters I need to be concerned about are raccoons, possums and skunks, well and hawks of course.

So my hen house sits in the middle of their run. Which is 7' tall so I can walk in there. But the best part is that I don't have to lock them up at night or let them out in the morning. They can go to bed and get up on their schedule. Really nice especially if you travel because you can get away with someone coming over once a day, and in the middle of the day, to check up on your flock.

My one tip would be if you have flu like (influenza) symptoms such as fever & muscle aches have someone else feed and care for your chickens while you are symptomatic. Strains of influenza can cross between people and chickens creating a more dangerous strain. The viruses of chickens and humans can actually trade genetic information.

At the very least be especially careful about handwashing when entering and leaving chicken coops, especially during flu season.

caution..when slipping eggs in your pockets before doing chores...or you will have a case of pee pocket..

If you are planning to get chickens and free-ranging them, keep the adult color of the chicken in mind when choosing. For a picky lawn owner (or to appease your significant other or parent) remember that white chicken feathers really show up on a green-brown lawn. Only one of my hens is white, but her feathers make a mess that is much more visible than the brown, mottled or red girls. When I replace her, it will be with a colored chicken.

Quote:
My chickens were excellent garden helpers all summer. You just have to wait until the plants have grown up a fair amount before you give the chickens access to them. If I let the girls in there when everything was still just seedlings, then yes they would have demolished it in no time. But once everything was well established the chickens were a remarkable help. They ate every japanese beetle in the whole garden!

Amy

Quote:
My chickens were excellent garden helpers all summer. You just have to wait until the plants have grown up a fair amount before you give the chickens access to them. If I let the girls in there when everything was still just seedlings, then yes they would have demolished it in no time. But once everything was well established the chickens were a remarkable help. They ate every japanese beetle in the whole garden!

Amy

I have also heard that they will turn up the soil for you, and fertilize it, but the manure must sit for a few months before putting it on plants.

Back
Top Bottom