Chicken to coop ratio

Annaafranqueza

Songster
Jun 30, 2019
I have a 7x7 coop with a 7x 18 ft run. How many chickens would be okay to put in it? i currently have 7 at 8 weeks old but might want a few more. Also have plenty of waterers/feeders/ perches and hiding spots.

If you go by the generalized number of 4sqft in coop and 10 in the run you answer is 12. But I don’t think those numbers fit everyone. It is going to depend on breed temperament, your weather, how much time you want/have to spend clearing the coop a day, any free range time? This is a great article to buy it all in prospective.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/how-much-room-do-chickens-need.66180/

Thank you! I’m in georgia, and when they are full sized will be able to free range most of the day. Since they are still small I only let them free range when I am out there (4-5 hours of free range a day)

Ya I’m not much help as I’m in a complete different climate and management situation, I’m in the north so my silkies and Seramas are in 24/7 from November to April. I don’t free range because I lost half my flock to a Fox in 15 minutes one afternoon and my neighbor free ranges her large fowl hens and loses them one by one all spring and summer to Fox and hawks.

Ya I’m not much help as I’m in a complete different climate and management situation, I’m in the north so my silkies and Seramas are in 24/7 from November to April. I don’t free range because I lost half my flock to a Fox in 15 minutes one afternoon and my neighbor free ranges her large fowl hens and loses them one by one all spring and summer to Fox and hawks.
That is terrible! I’m from MA and moved to GA about 7 months ago. Our yard has a 6ft fence which helps(i know predators could still get over) but havent had any issues yet.

No matter the climate, don't skimp on coop space...unless you have a secure and weather proof run, good to have anyway in times of need(predation and/or extreme weather).
The run is covered by roofing so they’ll never be wet and predator proof! Spent a really long time researching on how to make one. I may only get a couple more and stick with just 9! And let them free range when i’m outside (i have a 1 acre) thanks for the advice!

YEA, i was 15 feet away working on my coop when a hawk came down and landed on the pole to the temp pin. I was lucky i had 1/3 of the pins top covered with the wire i was working with. The hawk flew off when i yelled. I'm not going to free range at all. Hawks hunt squirrels here everyday. We have three kinds of hawks and i can hear or see them daily.
SSPX1005.JPG

YEA, i was 15 feet away working on my coop when a hawk came down and landed on the pole to the temp pin. I was lucky i had 1/3 of the pins top covered with the wire i was working with. The hawk flew off when i yelled. I'm not going to free range at all. Hawks hunt squirrels here everyday. We have three kinds of hawks and i can hear or see them daily. View attachment 1894570
You are in georgia?

You are in georgia?
There are predators everywhere. You don’t see them because they have no reason to show themselves to you but once they smell the chicken buffet they’ll be around. You don’t have a predator problem until you do. So be prepared is all.
Free ranging is a personal choice and if that’s what works for you just research it, lots of great information on here. Some breeds do it better than others. And know there will be losses.

Back
Top Bottom