Chicken Tongue

Freville

In the Brooder
Jun 29, 2016
Hi, I thought our hen had an upper respiratory issue. But her eyes and nose are clear. She has mouth open at times with clear mucus. Cannot drink water but will take food after mucus is cleaned out but it is a struggle. Upon further exam it's like her tongue is retracted. We couldn't even see it but then it appears however it's much further down the throat than normal. Any idea? Thank you.

The tongue is definitely no longer attached. It is there but retracts back even if it's brought back up. I'm guessing only solution is to cull?

Thats what i would do. Cull. Its better than starving to death. And its gotta hurt her to eat anything. Though you could try giving her wet chicken food. It might be easier for her to eat until it heals (if it heals)I just had to cull one of my old hens yesterday, so i know it sucks! I wish you the best in whatever you do!

Thats what i would do. Cull. Its better than starving to death. And its gotta hurt her to eat anything. Though you could try giving her wet chicken food. It might be easier for her to eat until it heals (if it heals)I just had to cull one of my old hens yesterday, so i know it sucks! I wish you the best in whatever you do!
Hi. Thank you. I have been only giving her soft food. Scrambled eggs. Oatmeal. It does suck. I didn't figure out what it was until now and feel awful

Stuff happens and you cant control everything. I think my girl had worms really bad. Its just whats best sometimes. Plus who thinks to look at the tounge! I didnt even know that could happen, so dont feel bad. The closet thing i do is smell their breath.

Do you have any idea how that happened?

If you want to "wait and see" you can try tube feeding, this would keep her fed and hydrated until you can decide. Culling may be kindest, things do happen that are beyond our control, you don't want her to suffer. Whatever decision you make will be the correct one.

I know some chickens have had their tongue "fall off" due to strangulation with something like a string or hair and do fine. But it sounds like your girl's tongue is falling backwards, I'm not sure how to fix that.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/805728/go-team-tube-feeding

Back
Top Bottom