Chicken toy suggestions

My sisters grandaughter went to Garage Sales and bought me 2 of the activity toys for .25 each that you place on the side of a crib. I suspended it from the top of the brooder and they are loving it. It does come with velcro tabs to attach somewhere else if need be.

34041_dsc00672.jpg

not a clear pic, but you get the idea

Last edited:
Mine love chasing each and playing "keep-away with the stick". One of them picks up a twig in their beak and then they all run and squawk, the stick gets dropped and then another chicken picks it up. The also do this with worms that they find.

Low roosts, sand or dirt to roll in...lots of low costs fun.

The good think about "toys" is that they don't get bored and start pecking each other's feathers out.

The cat toys are Bizzy Balls, or some sort of plastic ball with a bell inside. I put them in my brooder box for the young chicks and they have a blast trying to get that shiny thing inside!

As for the head of cabbage, I wrap string tightly around the stalk and hang it from the fence. Thay love it too. BUT- be sure they don't get the string!

Anything to get on is always a big hit. I have some plastic sawhorses, and they play on those all the time. The roo especially likes it- he gets up there to survey his domain, and proclaim himself King.
roll.png

I give mine a mini ladder. they play on it, fly over it, run under it, climb up it, roost on it. etc. I just made it out of some scrap wood from Home depot. Nothing fancy. It won't hold up to full size chickens but is fine while they are (relatively) small.

tallchickenpen.jpg

chickenladder.jpg

Last edited:
Did you ever notice that some chickens are just like the people you know.
Not sure if that is a compliment to the chicken or the humans.
big_smile.png

Either way nothing wrong with giving your chickens something fun to do. I like the idea.
My chickens run to the pen door and jump up and down when I drive in to the barn because they know that most of the time they are going to get out of the pen when I get there. Smart I dont know, but its cute and fun and basicly that is all that counts to me. So I am thinking that they can learn things pretty easy.

I also tell them that it is time to go back in the pen and they start to heading that way. Sure they piddle around and stop and peck things and goof off but if I walk up to them they will run to the pen and go in. Maybe it is just a chance thing but it happens every time.

They will love the Cabbage deal. Cant wait to try that.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom