Chicken toys? & Fun treats?

Pics

BrandonMcfly

Songster
Aug 29, 2017
California
Any ideas of chicken toys ? I know some might say chickens don't need toys but I want to give them toys I like to spoil my two rsl girls :love so do any of you have any idea of chicken toys to buy? Or homemade? & any ideas of fun treats I give them treats but I'd like to give them some fun treats or kinda like toy treats where they have to play to get the treats also ? & this is off topic but does anyone else feel guilty about eating their chickens eggs my chickens or one of both barely started laying but I'm not planning on eating them since I see them & my dogs as my children it feels weird to me like I'm doing something bad :rolleyes: so just curious if I'm the only one who feels guilty I haven't eaten any I think ima just give them away
20180104135132-1.jpg
my girls Dylan & Kurt now & them when they were younger
20170910_124050-1.jpg

You could build something for them to climb on.
You aren't doing anything wrong to eat your chicken eggs. The chickens don't care, they don't know, because they aren't humans. they are chickens. Now, I know the feeling when a chicken is going broody. That always makes me sad, when they can't brood,a nd you have to take the eggs. But anyway, if you give them away, that's just somebody else that will eat them.
So, just saying, eggs are meant for eating. Just like milk is for drinking.

I've seen chicken swings for them. Or stairs. Eating your chickens eggs isn't weird. Mine are my pets but I want my natural fesh eggs instead of store bought eggs from birds that probably never see the light of day.. There is Such a differences ill never look at store bought eggs the same. But if you don't like to than give them to someone else. Like said above eggs are meant for eating ;)

Your chickens are so cute! Mine really like edible toys, like a head of lettuce or a pumpkin. It will last them all day and they have fun picking away at it. They also LOVE when it's time to get new hay...they play on the bales for weeks. I know what you mean about feeling guilty eating their eggs, but I look at it this way: the chicken would be laying the egg whether I ate it or not. So if I don't eat it, it would just go to waste. If you don't have a rooster, your eggs won't be fertilized anyway and there really isn't anything to feel bad about. They are proud of their eggs and I am proud of them too lol :)

You could build something for them to climb on.
You aren't doing anything wrong to eat your chicken eggs. The chickens don't care, they don't know, because they aren't humans. they are chickens. Now, I know the feeling when a chicken is going broody. That always makes me sad, when they can't brood,a nd you have to take the eggs. But anyway, if you give them away, that's just somebody else that will eat them.
So, just saying, eggs are meant for eating. Just like milk is for drinking.
Any suggestions of what to build? Like some stairs or something? & yeah I guess that true when she laid her egg she just ignored it I still feel guilty but maybe it'll go away :rolleyes:

Any suggestions of what to build? Like some stairs or something? & yeah I guess that true when she laid her egg she just ignored it I still feel guilty but maybe it'll go away :rolleyes:
Do your chickens free range, or have access to grass? That is the best thing for them. I built something for my chicks that had a ramp that went up to a spot they could stand. It also had some sticks sticking out for them to sit on.

I've seen chicken swings for them. Or stairs. Eating your chickens eggs isn't weird. Mine are my pets but I want my natural fesh eggs instead of store bought eggs from birds that probably never see the light of day.. There is Such a differences ill never look at store bought eggs the same. But if you don't like to than give them to someone else. Like said above eggs are meant for eating ;)
Maybe I can buy them stairs do you happen to know if there are more interactive toys? & i actually never thought about that for store eggs it's true & i might change my mind for now I'll give them up someone will still have that pleasure of eating eggs until I feel better about that :D

Your chickens are so cute! Mine really like edible toys, like a head of lettuce or a pumpkin. It will last them all day and they have fun picking away at it. They also LOVE when it's time to get new hay...they play on the bales for weeks. I know what you mean about feeling guilty eating their eggs, but I look at it this way: the chicken would be laying the egg whether I ate it or not. So if I don't eat it, it would just go to waste. If you don't have a rooster, your eggs won't be fertilized anyway and there really isn't anything to feel bad about. They are proud of their eggs and I am proud of them too lol :)
Thank you :) & that's a great idea with the pumpkin & lettuce cause they roll so it's kinda like a game . My chickens love changing day also they're hilarious, mhh that is also true she'd lay them anyway & there is no way absolutely to ever have an embryo? I get paranoid but we have no rooster although I'd like one :) I am very proud of their eggs as well but she kinda shrug it off maybe cause it was her first egg :rolleyes:

I've been experimenting with what my chickens like (I just got my first 3 from a friend a few weeks ago) and so far giving them a bag of leaves to scratch through and crunch down has been a favorite :D They kind of mulch them up and when I clean the run they go into the mulch pile with the rest of the chicken poo and such. They also seem to really like when I do things like toss them an apple core, and I really want to try that thing where you hang a head of cabbage or lettuce in their coop for them to play with and eat.

Do your chickens free range, or have access to grass? That is the best thing for them. I built something for my chicks that had a ramp that went up to a spot they could stand. It also had some sticks sticking out for them to sit on.
Yes they have plenty of access to grassy areas :) that's a good idea I think I can make something like that thank you :D

Back
Top Bottom