Chicken toys? & Fun treats?

Pics

BrandonMcfly

Songster
Aug 29, 2017
California
Any ideas of chicken toys ? I know some might say chickens don't need toys but I want to give them toys I like to spoil my two rsl girls :love so do any of you have any idea of chicken toys to buy? Or homemade? & any ideas of fun treats I give them treats but I'd like to give them some fun treats or kinda like toy treats where they have to play to get the treats also ? & this is off topic but does anyone else feel guilty about eating their chickens eggs my chickens or one of both barely started laying but I'm not planning on eating them since I see them & my dogs as my children it feels weird to me like I'm doing something bad :rolleyes: so just curious if I'm the only one who feels guilty I haven't eaten any I think ima just give them away
20180104135132-1.jpg
my girls Dylan & Kurt now & them when they were younger
20170910_124050-1.jpg

You could build something for them to climb on.
You aren't doing anything wrong to eat your chicken eggs. The chickens don't care, they don't know, because they aren't humans. they are chickens. Now, I know the feeling when a chicken is going broody. That always makes me sad, when they can't brood,a nd you have to take the eggs. But anyway, if you give them away, that's just somebody else that will eat them.
So, just saying, eggs are meant for eating. Just like milk is for drinking.

You can do what I did and build a "Fake Chicken Bush".

I was studying my chickens as they were free ranging. They had certain bushes that they preferred to hang out in - just stand or lie around in - sometimes for hours at a time. Over time, I noticed those bushes had some things in common:

- foliage dense enough above the chickens heads for predators not to see them from above, and for rain not to reach the ground underneath;
- foliage dense enough at the sides for the chickens to be really hard to spot, but not so dense that the chickens can't see out;
- enough room between the branches inside the bush for the chickens to comfortably move around;
- easy to enter and exit for the chickens, without the entrance and exit areas being so big as to compromise the feeling of safety;
- large enough to accommodate most of the flock at one time;
- preferably some branches to comfortably sit on inside the bush;
- preferably good dust-bathing soil under the bush.

It didn't take much thinking to realize that all of the above could be achieved by by building a small hut. So I did. I put it in a part of the pen that the chickens never visited, and voilà:

12273560_10153643110165631_4868760592155248893_o.jpg

I've seen chicken swings for them. Or stairs. Eating your chickens eggs isn't weird. Mine are my pets but I want my natural fesh eggs instead of store bought eggs from birds that probably never see the light of day.. There is Such a differences ill never look at store bought eggs the same. But if you don't like to than give them to someone else. Like said above eggs are meant for eating ;)

Any ideas of chicken toys ? I know some might say chickens don't need toys but I want to give them toys I like to spoil my two rsl girls :love so do any of you have any idea of chicken toys to buy? Or homemade? & any ideas of fun treats I give them treats but I'd like to give them some fun treats or kinda like toy treats where they have to play to get the treats also ? & this is off topic but does anyone else feel guilty about eating their chickens eggs my chickens or one of both barely started laying but I'm not planning on eating them since I see them & my dogs as my children it feels weird to me like I'm doing something bad :rolleyes: so just curious if I'm the only one who feels guilty I haven't eaten any I think ima just give them away View attachment 1253621 my girls Dylan & Kurt now & them when they were younger
View attachment 1253623
You should poke holes in an empty water bottle, then fill it with treats or food. That way, when they roll it around or push it, they get treats

We had a really hot summer (for us) this year and my flock were feeling the heat. So I made them an iceblock! I put some seeds and tidbits in a 2 litre icream container, topped it up with water, and froze it all up. Then upended the frozen block in their pen the next day. They had a great time pecking at the ice (and eating it) and then snaffling up the goodies as they became available. It was a great entertainment for everyone! I laughed so hard when one of the baby roo's worked out that he could sit back and let the others do all the hard work then run in to "steal" the bit of grain he wanted.

Back
Top Bottom