Wind Chimes as a Chicken Toy?

BonnieBlue

Songster
Apr 20, 2022
I am trying to think of ways for my girls to stay entertained to fight boredom. They have a little non-breakable mirror they like to play with now and then, but the little zylephone that came in a toy assortment does nothing for them.

But I started wondering if they might like a set of wind chimes? If they pecked around and moved them, I wonder if making noises would entertain them? Would pecking on copper hurt them? Or would they need to be a plain metal?

Has anyone used wind chimes as a chicken toy?

I doubt they'd use it, but it's probably harmless to try as long as there's no rope/string they could get caught up in.
That is how I would have to figure one out.

I don't want to use all food and treats for entertainment, but find things that will get their attention and stimulate their curiousity without food. I did add a couple of whiffle balls to the run, and sometimes they like kicking those around.

After the incident with a swing, swings are out, and my brain is not coming up with anything else.

Another thing that I do with my chickens is a peck bar - it's made of seeds and leftovers all cooked into a bar that they can pick at. That provides my chickens hours of entertainment.
I also take a water bottle and cut holes in it and they roll it around until some seeds fall out and continue playing with it until they have ate all the seeds. Then they come peck at the door asking for a refill. lol 😆

Another thing that I do with my chickens is a peck bar - it's made of seeds and leftovers all cooked into a bar that they can pick at. That provides my chickens hours of entertainment.
I also take a water bottle and cut holes in it and they roll it around until some seeds fall out and continue playing with it until they have ate all the seeds. Then they come peck at the door asking for a refill. lol 😆
That's a good way to make sure the same few birds don't eat up all the seed
Last time we bought chicken scratch grains they picked out the corn :p And wouldn't let the others eat

I am trying to think of ways for my girls to stay entertained to fight boredom. They have a little non-breakable mirror they like to play with now and then, but the little xylophone that came in a toy assortment does nothing for them.

But I started wondering if they might like a set of wind chimes? If they pecked around and moved them, I wonder if making noises would entertain them? Would pecking on copper hurt them? Or would they need to be a plain metal?

Has anyone used wind chimes as a chicken toy?
I have a wind chime in the run. Also a mirror and a xylophone. Overall, they like the mirror and xylophone better than the windchime, but maybe that's just my flock! Their favorite activities are the ones involving food ;)

I don't want to use all food and treats for entertainment, but find things that will get their attention and stimulate their curiousity without food.
I don't use food at all for entertainment. I find a good amount of varied clutter, roost options all over the place, and plenty of litter to dig through are perfectly good entertainment for chickens. Something as simple as dumping in a couple bags of dried leaves or dried grass clippings, or rearranging clutter in the run, will keep them busy for hours if not days.

Back
Top Bottom