Chicken tracking

navyodie

In the Brooder
Oct 4, 2023
So we have two hens and live in a neighborhood. They are obsessed with going to our neighbor's 4 doors down. The bad part is sometimes we can't find them. They like to hide and randomly pop up out of nowhere. They have even got so sneaky as to tag team us. One will distract us while the other one runs 4 doors down. We are worried about their safety. Does anyone know of a gps tracker for chickens or a way we can keep track of them short of keeping them cooped up? I am pretty sure our one will never stop yelling at us if we keep them cooped up.

They might fuss initially but if you give them enough room in their enclosure they should settle down and get used to it. I would think that would be a lot safer than them running around the neighborhood. Not sure if your neighbors mind visits from your chickens but I know if my chickens were at the neighbors tearing up their landscaping and pooping everywhere they might not like that.

So we have two hens and live in a neighborhood. They are obsessed with going to our neighbor's 4 doors down. The bad part is sometimes we can't find them. They like to hide and randomly pop up out of nowhere. They have even got so sneaky as to tag team us. One will distract us while the other one runs 4 doors down. We are worried about their safety. Does anyone know of a gps tracker for chickens or a way we can keep track of them short of keeping them cooped up? I am pretty sure our one will never stop yelling at us if we keep them cooped up.
You could use a dog tracker and attach it to their back/neck. I've never used a chicken tracker, so I wouldn't know. If you have money to spend you can use the "Whistle go explore" tracker; it's 100 dollars to start off and around 100 dollars a month. It's really expensive but I'll try and find some cheaper options. For now, that's what I'd use! But a WAY better option is to get them a large run. I wouldn't let them free range in a neighborhood.

You are focusing on the wrong problem here - tracking your wandering chickens - when the real problem is that you are allowing them to wander in the first place. As an animal owner, you have a responsibility to keep your animals on your own property. Especially in a neighborhood. Your neighbors shouldn't have to put up with chicken đź’© all over their yards, the sidewalks, the street, not to mention any damage done to their landscaping. Chickens are not entitled to absolute "freedom". Keeping them in a spacious run is not keeping them "cooped up", "locked up", "jailed" or however else some people like to put it to guilt trip others. If the chickens complain, then they'll have to get over it and get used to it, because they don't own the town. Be a good neighbor and restrain your animals.

Last edited:
You are focusing on the wrong problem here - tracking your wandering chickens - when the real problem is that you are allowing them to wander in the first place. As an animal owner, you have a responsibility to keep your animals on your own property. Especially in a neighborhood. Your neighbors shouldn't have to put up with chicken đź’© all over their yards, the sidewalks, the street, not to mention any damage done to their landscaping. Chickens are not entitled to absolute "freedom". Keeping them in a spacious run is not keeping them "cooped up", "locked up", "jailed" or however else some people like to put it to guilt trip others. If the chickens complain, then they'll have to get over it and get used to it, because they don't own the town. Be a good neighbor and restrain your animals.
X2

X3...

They need to be fenced in somehow. As long as they have space and plenty of enrichment, they will be fine and will get used to it (and will be much safer than if they are wandering around).

If you can figure out what they like so much about the neighbor's yard, you might be able to try replicating that in your own yard (in addition to keeping them contained).

Back
Top Bottom