Chicken Tractor Bottom (& Predator Proofing)

Aug 1, 2020
Arkansas
Hey all! My husband built a 4x8 chicken tractor last fall (that has a 4x4 2nd floor “coop” area where our 4 chickens sleep at night). We didn’t know a whole lot when we built it so the entire thing is wrapped in chicken wire (bottom included). So far nothing has bothered our chickens. But we have lost 2 ducks to predators and a 3rd was injured (2 different attacks and the most recent was a Racoon-which we have now trapped 1, I’m sure there’s more). Hubby and I are covering up the chicken tractor chicken wire with hardware cloth. Because it is getting so hot I would love to be able to let the chickens roost in the open air/tractor overnight instead of closing them up in the coop area. Would chicken wire on the bottom/floor of the tractor be enough to keep a digging predator out or would we have to put hardwire cloth on that floor as well?

I'm afraid that I believe you would be doing more harm than good by covering the bottom. I have a tractor for my 3 girls for the last four years.

Hardware cloth around the sides is definitely a good idea. I have an automatic door on the coop area for security overnight just in case something does dig in (nothing has).

Meanwhile, you have an environment that is hard on their feet and their natural scratching behavior every day. You certainly don't have to follow my lead, but please consider it.

FYI- I keep a game camera in my backyard and have seen numerous raccoons over time. There has never been any evidence of them digging to get at my birds.

Edit- Here are a couple of pictures to show you my setup:

ChickenTractor.jpg

AutoDoor_170522.jpg

Last edited:
I'm afraid that I believe you would be doing more harm than good by covering the bottom. I have a tractor for my 3 girls for the last four years.

Hardware cloth around the sides is definitely a good idea. I have an automatic door on the coop area for security overnight just in case something does dig in (nothing has).

Meanwhile, you have an environment that is hard on their feet and their natural scratching behavior every day. You certainly don't have to follow my lead, but please consider it.

FYI- I keep a game camera in my backyard and have seen numerous raccoons over time. There has never been any evidence of them digging to get at my birds.

Edit- Here are a couple of pictures to show you my setup:

View attachment 2749545

View attachment 2749546
Yes I should have mentioned they spend very little time in it as we let them roam our yard during the day

Hey all! My husband built a 4x8 chicken tractor last fall (that has a 4x4 2nd floor “coop” area where our 4 chickens sleep at night). We didn’t know a whole lot when we built it so the entire thing is wrapped in chicken wire (bottom included). So far nothing has bothered our chickens. But we have lost 2 ducks to predators and a 3rd was injured (2 different attacks and the most recent was a Racoon-which we have now trapped 1, I’m sure there’s more). Hubby and I are covering up the chicken tractor chicken wire with hardware cloth. Because it is getting so hot I would love to be able to let the chickens roost in the open air/tractor overnight instead of closing them up in the coop area. Would chicken wire on the bottom/floor of the tractor be enough to keep a digging predator out or would we have to put hardwire cloth on that floor as well?
Chickens love digging and scratching the ground. Chicken wire would hurt their claws. Wouldn't it??

Chickens love digging and scratching the ground. Chicken wire would hurt their claws. Wouldn't it??
I have since cut out the chicken wire that was on the bottom (as it got like rusty from the poo and moisture from the ground?) It didn’t seem to bother their claws though; likely because they were let out to “free range” most of the time? 🤷🏽‍♀️ (I didn’t see any signs of bumble foot or cuts/scrapes at least)

ETA: so the bottom is open now

Back
Top Bottom