Chicken Tractor Concerns

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by E.M. Silkies, Jan 30, 2011.

1. E.M. Silkies

E.M. Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    Georgia
    Ok, So I've been planning on putting a couple chicken tractors outside for my silkies. However, I'm hearing some concerns from people...
    Do you think they'd be ok for silkies? They roost on the ground, that's my only concerns. I think the concern is that raccoons might get them. They are well made with chicken wire. Has anyone had any issues with them? I just need reassurance and advice on keeping the critters away from my silkies!

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Where you just planning on using the tractors during the day, or were you planning to use them as your primary coop?

3. Lesa

Lesa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Chicken wire keeps chickens in- it doesn't keep much out... Hardware cloth at least...

4. MVchickens

MVchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2010
    Martha's Vineyard MA
    I had mine in a tractor made stationary. If you build a small raised platform they will roost on that and should be fine.

5. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    I agree with the other poster: if you want to keep your chickens safe from predators, replace the chicken wire with welded wire. If the welded wire you choose has wide spacing between the wires (more than 1/2"), then you also need to reinforce any places where a predator can grab through the wire at your chickens with something smaller mesh. Usually this means reinforcing the bottom 2 or 3 feet of the sides of the pen, plus any places where a roost comes up next to the wire.

The other problem that should be addressed is how to stop predators from digging in under the bottom and into the tractor. You can make a hardware cloth apron attached to the base of the tractor and extending 2 or 3 feet outwards flat on the ground to prevent this.

6. E.M. Silkies

E.M. Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    Georgia
    I was planning on making it a primary coop, but I want to make it mobile. I'm going to put silkies in them so they wont roost. My concern was a raccoon reaching through the wire and grabbing one. The hardware wire is a good idea. maybe I'll do that around the bottom. My other concern was something digging in the bottom. Any suggestions for that?

7. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Quote:You can make a hardware cloth apron attached to the base of the tractor and extending 2 or 3 feet outwards flat on the ground to prevent dig ins.

8. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Even my Silkies live in a coop with a pen and not a tractor. They did not do well when they lived in a tractor. They enjoy going into the coop and being closed up at night. I don't coddle my chickens over much but I prefer not to lose them either.
    I kept 2 Silkie roos in a tractor one winter and just about lost them due to only sleeping in a wooden box. My Sizzles do better in a tractor then my Silkies do.
    However, my Silkies like to get out and play in the grass. So use it for a day pen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by