1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chicken tractor construction question...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mamonson, Jun 27, 2011.

1. mamonson

mamonson Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2011
    I have a metal dog kennel i'd like to convert into a chicken tractor. 4 side panels 4ft high and 5-6ish ft long, a gate and back panel. i'm not sure if it will be too heavy to use all panels or if i'll only use 4 and have a smaller square space. I plan on putting wire over the top/bottom for predators and to rig one of those plastic kids playhouses as a daytime coop for shelter and protection (its fairly light and hopefully easy to move with the tractor).

I looked at wheels yesterday at Lowes and am curious if anyone has guidance on how to best install them on a metal kennel?

Actually, I haven't seen any smaller dog kennels turned chicken tractors on this site before and am wondering if perhaps its not the best use of materials...has anyone tried this before?

Thanks all!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by