Chicken tractor floor.... Question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Ullie, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Ullie

Ullie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    My Coop
    I am interested in building a chicken tractor for next year,[​IMG] so that I can move the chickens around for different areas to graze.

I am also interested in getting the electric poultry fence but that will be only used when I am in the near vicinity as we have lots of hawks and other birds of prey.

I like to use the chicken tractor when I am not nearby so that they are safe in their enclosure and still able to enjoy some grazing.

I see that most chicken tractors have a wire floor, does this interfere with the chickens natural desire to 'scratch' and has anyone built a CT without a wire floor???

Thanks[​IMG]

2. RWD

RWD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    Wartrace TN.
    I have never built one with a wire floor. The whole logic of a chicken tractor is that they can scratch up the ground. Only if I had some type local predator issue would I use a wire floor.

3. Ullie

Aug 8, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    My Coop
    That looks like a pretty big tractor, how many do you keep in there and what kind of coop do they go in at night?

4. RWD

RWD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    Wartrace TN.
    The one in my avatar is a 6x14 that will carry 20-25 and the house is elevated (6x5) check out my facebook farm page for more pics.

5. Ullie

Aug 8, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    My Coop
    Sorry I'm not on FB

6. stevetone

stevetone Chicken Advocate

Most do not have a floor. You are right--it would interfere with all the scratching.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by