Chicken tractor for 4 bantams?

I have a wooden tractor with wheels on the back. . .. coop part is maybe 4x4 so fine for 4 bantams....

But I can't move it by myself!

Blasted thing is crazy heavy!

We now move it with the 4-wheeler and 2 strong boys!

:idunno

"Standard" guidelines are 4 square feet of coop, and 10 square feet of run for standard sized chickens.

I have found when I use my tractors that they can be very happy with much less space ... as long as ... the tractor is moved often because fresh grass and stuff is cool! So in the growing season I can put way more chickens into a tractor than is standard.

A 4x3 coop and 9x4 run would give you space for 3 standard sized hens...easy...even if you never move it.

If you move it around... in the growing season... you could put 6 standard hens in it.

In winter though...I would go down to 3.

For bantams, especially if you roof the run, and wall the long side to keep out wind and snow, I think 4 bantam hens would be happy with that size, 5 might work but would be a bit tight.

That definitely isn't a proper pen for Chickens. Maybe two could stand it in that pen...

So how big IS a proper pen, then? Because you know, I'm kinda waiting for some constructive ANSWERS here, not just grumpy criticism. ;) You're just telling me what doesn't work - but I'm here to learn what DOES work.

So how big IS a proper pen, then? Because you know, I'm kinda waiting for some constructive ANSWERS here, not just grumpy criticism. ;) You're just telling me what doesn't work - but I'm here to learn what DOES work.

Yeah... I have tried several different things.... but I just can't figure out how to move a wooden tractor that is a decent size...... the 4-wheeler works great to move it..... but one person? Without power something?

I have tried to build the coop on a garden cart.... so easily wheel around the cart.... and then the cart attaches to a wood framed wire run.

But! My wood framed wire run, though not too heavy... still needs 2 people to move it...because it is an awkward shape.... might make that drag-able...

But it is tricky to put wheels on the run, make it easy to use the wheels, still have the run flat on the ground so predator proof, a nice size, and still have it light enough for 1 person to move!

The only ones that I have seen that are FULLY functional for the chickens and 1 person moving.... are made out of PVC pipe.... and ugly.

No you asked if that tractor works. You never asked about a proper set up. So no I'm not being mean at all. Just honest. :frow

And as I stated in an earlier post... "standard" guildlines are 4 square feet in the coop...and 10 in the run... (for full sized chickens)

You can make it a bit less for bantams of course... but being more cooped up in the winter I wouldn't want to make it much smaller.

If you roof the run, and wall one side of the run, that can make it easier for the girls.

Also... with so much less light in the winter, the chickens will be MUCH healthier in the winter if you have a light up, so they can eat for 10 hours a day.

But you can set that up with an extension cord.

This is a tractor that I picked up free as the folks did not have birds anymore
this was built on conduit the guy was a electrician I do have 3 coops my silky are the ones that use this I have 4 of them .. the guy built this with conduit running them added wood it can be abutted on a coop also or have a small coop with this to put them in daily also added a small coop made 2 full sheets of plywood and a quarter sheet of
t-11 Very small use all hardware cloth or fox will win
tra 001.jpg
002.jpg
001.jpg

No you asked if that tractor works. You never asked about a proper set up. So no I'm not being mean at all. Just honest. :frow

You dont seem to have read my original post: "I'm planning to build a chicken tractor for 4 to 5 bantam orpingtons. What would be a good size?"

And as I stated in an earlier post... "standard" guildlines are 4 square feet in the coop...and 10 in the run... (for full sized chickens)

You can make it a bit less for bantams of course... but being more cooped up in the winter I wouldn't want to make it much smaller.

If you roof the run, and wall one side of the run, that can make it easier for the girls.

Also... with so much less light in the winter, the chickens will be MUCH healthier in the winter if you have a light up, so they can eat for 10 hours a day.

But you can set that up with an extension cord.

Thanks! I'll keep that in mind! :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom