Chicken Tractor Height

holiday hawk

Chirping
Apr 12, 2023
I'm looking to make a PVC chicken tractor so that my girls can spend some time out of their coop. While my town is strangely extremely lenient for the number of backyard chickens we can have (I live a minute from the courthouse but there is no limit, I could legally have 200 chickens if I wanted), they can be very strict about fining you for animals leaving your property. If a neighbor complains there usually isn't a warning. We also have a fair number of hawks in Licking County, OH and I don't have a rooster to warn the girls, so I don't really want them to wander around for this reason too. I was originally going to do a 10x10x5, but the hardware cloth will start to add up to cover that. I am considering doing a 10x10x2 to make a decent dent in the amount of hardware cloth I need, but am afraid it would be too short. The biggest breed I have is a buff orpington. Would two feet give enough clearance for them not to be smushed into it? I don't plan on getting brahmas, so I'm not worried about fitting on of them in there.

I would make it 2' 6" at the very least, 3' would be better. my girls like to stretch sometimes - and hop and jump and catch flies.

Back
Top Bottom