Chicken Tractor Plans?

crazy4wdracer

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 6, 2009
Western PA
Can anyone get me a link to some free chicken tractor plans? My chicks are about 2 weeks old now and I don't have anything built for them yet. I want something with nesting boxes and I don't want to start throwing it together without plans.

Last edited:
I searched the internet for several weeks and couldn't find good, free plans that fit my situation. I started looking at used doghouses on craigslist and got the perfect tractor-coop for $20. I retrofitted it and the built my run myself using ideas from this site and the pics on: http://home.centurytel.net/thecitychicken/tractors.html
I
wanted a coop that I could detach from the run and move each individually. I also wanted wheels that were very stout so that I could roll the coop over uneven terrain and up/down slopes. My coop is 4'X4' and the run I built 4'X10'. I can seperate the two and close each independatly so that the birds can be locked in the run or in the coop while the other is moved. Here are a few pics:

I also wanted something to move the chickens, so I borrowed my 2yr old son's green truck...now we have a chicken tractor and a chicken truck!

I had most of the lumber for the run, the coop was $20 and the 2X4 welded wire was @lowes for $35. The tires (not pictured) are from Harbor Freight 10" pnuematic tires for $5 each!
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=30900

Check around for used doghouses, I think its cheaper and then you can tailor your tractor to your own needs.

Simple and easy hoop coop to the rescue!
www.plamondon.com/hoop-coop.html

This is where I started for inspiration on my tractor. Check my BYC page here.
I has special needs due to 2 narrow garden gates. It took me a while and I am still fine tuning the design.

Some other questions would be:
How many chickens will you have?
What kind of chickens?
Will they be able to free range during the day?
Do you need an attached run?
Where do you live?
What kind of weather do you get there?

Like me!

Love the last post, that's what I need...for a few months a year the creek gets low enough that I need something to let the girls out into. Our neighbours have dogs that will surely kill them, but the creek provides a natural barrier 3 (of the nice) months a yr.

Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom