Chicken tractor question

hockeygirl56

Songster
Apr 21, 2011
Allenton, MI
Hi everyone! I’ve been doing layers for almost 10 years, and want to get into meat birds this year. We’ve decided to use an A-frame tractor for them. I’m struggling with a few things though bc I’m so used to my layers and what works for them, and what I see for meat chickens is so different.

What I see in pictures, people don’t really lock up their chickens securely at night. They just leave them in the tractor same way as during the day. We are taking precautions with our design so it will have hardware cloth and a flip down apron around it. But I’m still nervous about what comes out at night trying to get in.

Do you provide an area in your tractor to lock them into at night, and why/why not? If you do, how do you provide enough ventilation so that it’s not boiling hot in there? I posted pics of what we have done so far. I don’t think the design of the enclosed area will work as it would be super hot inside. Looking for any suggestions and experiences please!! F8208543-D408-46C9-A40E-C6DCC8A027BE.jpeg 03917D44-6E81-464C-A293-EF3E61DC5CAA.jpeg

What you've built looks like a mini-coop attached to a mini-run. That's a good way to build for a small number of adult hens, especially if they have to be protected from winter weather.

But meat birds are typically raised in a slightly different style of tractor, because they're raised only in the summer and because they are still just big babies when they are butchered.

Most tractors for meat birds are not divided like yours is. Here are two pages with pictures that show what I mean:
https://www.weedemandreap.com/how-to-build-a-chicken-tractor/
https://www.hobbyfarms.com/diy-chicken-tractor/
Those examples have a covered part and an uncovered part, but no dividing wall--so the birds never have to figure out how to go through a door. They can wander in and out of the shaded part, which stays cooler because it's not as much enclosed.

Usually, people raise enough birds in the tractor that they use the entire space at the rate of about 2 square feet per bird. Locking them into a smaller part would be impossible by the time they're partly grown, and it's likely they won't even go in there at all, if they have a choice (it's small and dark, at least compared with the open part, and will be hot if it's in the sun).

Quite a few tractors for meat birds are covered entirely with wire (no wood or siding), and then use a tarp to keep out rain and wind--it's much lighter weight that way, which makes moving easier.

Of course some people have predator problems with tractors, but a surprising number do fine. The tractor you've built will certainly protect the chickens from hawks, owls, etc; and the triangle shape means even a big dog will be unable to knock it over. If you cover it with hardware cloth, that will keep out raccoons and cats and so forth.

Moving it every day means there will never be a big network of rat tunnels underneath, and any predator that wants to dig in will have to make a new hole each day--no re-using yesterday's hole, or finishing this hole tomorrow.

Given the short time meat birds spend in the tractor (usually 2 months or less), the digging predators often don't get around to digging in. Besides, it's summer time--plenty of other prey to hunt, no digging required!

So instead of "do not lock up securely at night," it's more like "lock up semi-securely all the time."

What you've built looks like a mini-coop attached to a mini-run. That's a good way to build for a small number of adult hens, especially if they have to be protected from winter weather.

But meat birds are typically raised in a slightly different style of tractor, because they're raised only in the summer and because they are still just big babies when they are butchered.

Most tractors for meat birds are not divided like yours is. Here are two pages with pictures that show what I mean:
https://www.weedemandreap.com/how-to-build-a-chicken-tractor/
https://www.hobbyfarms.com/diy-chicken-tractor/
Those examples have a covered part and an uncovered part, but no dividing wall--so the birds never have to figure out how to go through a door. They can wander in and out of the shaded part, which stays cooler because it's not as much enclosed.

Usually, people raise enough birds in the tractor that they use the entire space at the rate of about 2 square feet per bird. Locking them into a smaller part would be impossible by the time they're partly grown, and it's likely they won't even go in there at all, if they have a choice (it's small and dark, at least compared with the open part, and will be hot if it's in the sun).

Quite a few tractors for meat birds are covered entirely with wire (no wood or siding), and then use a tarp to keep out rain and wind--it's much lighter weight that way, which makes moving easier.

Of course some people have predator problems with tractors, but a surprising number do fine. The tractor you've built will certainly protect the chickens from hawks, owls, etc; and the triangle shape means even a big dog will be unable to knock it over. If you cover it with hardware cloth, that will keep out raccoons and cats and so forth.

Moving it every day means there will never be a big network of rat tunnels underneath, and any predator that wants to dig in will have to make a new hole each day--no re-using yesterday's hole, or finishing this hole tomorrow.

Given the short time meat birds spend in the tractor (usually 2 months or less), the digging predators often don't get around to digging in. Besides, it's summer time--plenty of other prey to hunt, no digging required!

So instead of "do not lock up securely at night," it's more like "lock up semi-securely all the time."

That info def helped. No one has really explained it out that well to me yet, so thank you! I either have heard yes they need to be locked up, or no they don’t with no reasoning on why. It’s just hard for me to wrap my head around not securely locking a door at night. If we take the plywood off on the side the door is built into, it becomes the 3 sided sheltered part there. And we’re talking of attaching tarps to the top of the open area that we can roll up in nice weather and roll down for storms.

Its crazy to me how meat chickens and layer chickens can be so different and have such different needs and still both be chickens!

That info def helped. No one has really explained it out that well to me yet, so thank you! I either have heard yes they need to be locked up, or no they don’t with no reasoning on why. It’s just hard for me to wrap my head around not securely locking a door at night. If we take the plywood off on the side the door is built into, it becomes the 3 sided sheltered part there. And we’re talking of attaching tarps to the top of the open area that we can roll up in nice weather and roll down for storms.

Its crazy to me how meat chickens and layer chickens can be so different and have such different needs and still both be chickens!
I have my layers and turkeys in tarp covered, cattle panel hoop coops all year. -20f most years
Chickens are tougher than most people think

I either have heard yes they need to be locked up, or no they don’t with no reasoning on why. It’s just hard for me to wrap my head around not securely locking a door at night.

I think of the meat chickens as being always locked up, and the difference is that no-one lets them out in the morning :)

It's partly the size, but I think it's mostly the age difference.

With layer chickens, first you raise them from tiny babies--but after the first few months, you're dealing with adult chickens. You might have the same chickens for years, and the baby stage is just a short bit at the beginning.

The meat chickens do grow big fast, but they're still basically babies even at butchering time. If you've raised layers from chicks--think about when they're two months old. That's how old meat birds often are when they get butchered. So it's more like raising giant baby chicks in an outdoor brooder, not dealing with adult chickens.

Crazy, yes :)

That info def helped. No one has really explained it out that well to me yet, so thank you! I either have heard yes they need to be locked up, or no they don’t with no reasoning on why.

Glad I could help! I know it's much easier for me to get things right if I know why it's being done that way.

Sounds like you're off to a good start; hope it all goes well for you!

Here are a couple pictures of my A-frame chicken tractor. I would not divide the inside because when you move it you want to be able to see the whole area so you don’t crush any. I love this setup. I did the short flat ones and was disappointed with view of area when moving. When time to process it’s nice to just walk in and grab the birds. I have a dog house shelter within the A-frame for them to go into during a driving rain. Mine is built on 8x8 skids to add some weight. I move it with my tractor.
B6DEFC50-E3E2-4C73-8572-E346523396FB.jpeg B1956696-47D7-47E2-9260-63F5033839E7.jpeg
When they get older I open the door during the day for them to come out and range. At night they all go back in and I just close the door.
@hockeygirl56 make your divider removable. Metal roof the whole unit. You really need to make it heavier because as it sits now it will likely move around during a thunderstorm with high winds. You could also come up with a way to stake it down in the 4 corners. Some rebar driven in at angles would go a long way.

Last edited:
Hi!

I love the pictures and appreciate your opinions re movablilty and visibility.

I am BRAND new to tall of this... might you have Building Plans? If so, where did you get them?

I am hoping to build a Tractor for egg laying chickens. Would this also be suitable for that?

Dean

Hi!

I love the pictures and appreciate your opinions re movablilty and visibility.

I am BRAND new to tall of this... might you have Building Plans? If so, where did you get them?

I am hoping to build a Tractor for egg laying chickens. Would this also be suitable for that?

Dean
Sorry I don’t have plans. I wouldn’t use what I show for a tractor to house laying hens.

Back
Top Bottom