Chicken tractor

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by arsnow, Jun 22, 2010.

1. arsnow

arsnow Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2008
    Farnsworth, TX
    I've posted on this before, but I have a few more questions. I'm building a 6ft W x 8ft L tractor. My main problem is how to attach wheels to the structure. I am thinking of using wheelbarrow wheels because I DO NOT want to build a trailer. Anyone have a suggestion? I'd love some advice.

Secondly, when I first posted about this coop, it was going to be 5 x 8 and hold around 10 birds. Will the extra foot of width mean a few extra birds?

2. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Are you sure you need wheels? How heavy is your set up? I have a 6' by 12' tractor, and an 8' by 8' tractor, neither with wheels. I just pick up one end and drag 'em.

The usual rule of thumb is 10 square feet of outdoor space per bird. So your tractor will fit 4-5 birds.

3. twentynine

twentynine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Wheels are nice.

I used two different methods.

First I used a frieght dolley. Stuck it under the end I wanted lifted then put a wedge between the dolley and tractor to hold the dolley back, lifting the tractor. Worked pretty good, it was quick, it was simple, it was cheap. One problem occassionally the dolley would hit a bump and fall out.

Second. Much harder and took a little time, welding, metal fabrication and two small tires. Mounted the tires on an axle that I could rotate and lock in a down position (lifting the tractor). When tractor was where I wanted it, unlock the axle and rotate upward lowering the tractor.

Pictures located in Coop Tractor wheel thread.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
  4. Arty

Arty Out Of The Brooder

My wife posted photos of the coop I just completed.

[​IMG]

Here is how I did the wheels. The vertical piece is steel - called Uni-strut or Kindorf. You buy it at electrical supply houses, or get it for free from a buddy in the trade. It is very strong and has holes for easy mounting. The wheels came from Tractor Supply, on sale for $11 each. They use a 5/8 axle, so I used a 6 inch 5/8 cap bolt as an axle. Stability comes from the threaded rod side-to-side and diagonal bracing on two planes.

[​IMG]

The black pipe in the U bracket is one of my handles to move the tractor. The two handles pull out from underneath, then slide under to stow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by