Chicken Training!

shakecc

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 26, 2008
Central OH
I am not sure if anyone will find this amusing or interesting but I thought I would post. I have been a professional dog trainer for 10 years now and train assistance dog for one of the largest non-profit organizations in the US. When I first started one of the inital things I did was train with a couple name Bob and Mairen Bailey training chickens. The intent was to teach us about the importance of timing. We used operant conditioning (a clicker and alittle cup of chicken feed) and taught the chickens to peck different colored squares, push a ping pong ball through a goal, and various other sequences of behaviors etc.

It was my first experience with chickens and being a city girl I thought it would be my last! But after getting married and moving to the county 10 years ago I am excitedly waiting for my chicks that I pick up on Thursday!

Thanks for letting me share!

Wow! Trained chickens!! interesting. Good luck with your new arrivals! Keep us updated on how you do with them, and don't forget to show them off to us!!
wink.png

If you can get your chicks to all poop in one corner of the run or the coop let me know and then I'll train mine.... better yet I could get a comode and if you could teach them how to flush...... ;0)

Quote:
We must have different breeds. My little geniuses can't figure out how to get to the door of the coop, and if I was an inch tall they'd dismember me like a Junebug.

Welcome!

I am excited about my upcoming flock as well. I am familiar with the work of the Baileys as well, and I'm looking forward to a few experiments with the hens. And if one of the roosters gets too fiesty, he's gonna get some first hand experience with aversive stimuli!
lol.png

funny how we use "smart" to mean so many things. Chickens have so much intelligence people dont see because its not likeours, y'know? I am so excited to hear you click-trained chickens! I never even thght to try though it was fab for my dog. I'm out there with a clicker RIGHT NOW; you have inspired me!

brst of luck with your new crew:

I have no set out to train mine but man they train easily...they know their treat bowl, they know how to get the food out of the feeder when they feel it is too low. Amazing critters.

Back
Top Bottom