Chicken Training!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by shakecc, Jun 24, 2008.

1. shakecc

shakecc Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2008
    Central OH
    I am not sure if anyone will find this amusing or interesting but I thought I would post. I have been a professional dog trainer for 10 years now and train assistance dog for one of the largest non-profit organizations in the US. When I first started one of the inital things I did was train with a couple name Bob and Mairen Bailey training chickens. The intent was to teach us about the importance of timing. We used operant conditioning (a clicker and alittle cup of chicken feed) and taught the chickens to peck different colored squares, push a ping pong ball through a goal, and various other sequences of behaviors etc.

It was my first experience with chickens and being a city girl I thought it would be my last! But after getting married and moving to the county 10 years ago I am excitedly waiting for my chicks that I pick up on Thursday!

Thanks for letting me share!

2. Lanissa86

Lanissa86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    Wow! Trained chickens!! interesting. Good luck with your new arrivals! Keep us updated on how you do with them, and don't forget to show them off to us!! [​IMG]

3. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

How cool is that! I think you'll find chickens to be intelligent and affectionate pets. [​IMG]

What breeds are you getting?

4. chicknhawaii

chicknhawaii Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Honolulu, HI
    Quote:Most definitely, chickens are extremely intelligent. At least mine are incredibly so. [​IMG] Gotta love 'em!

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    If you can get your chicks to all poop in one corner of the run or the coop let me know and then I'll train mine.... better yet I could get a comode and if you could teach them how to flush...... ;0)

6. Oblio13

Oblio13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Quote:We must have different breeds. My little geniuses can't figure out how to get to the door of the coop, and if I was an inch tall they'd dismember me like a Junebug.

7. basicliving

basicliving Keepin' the sunny side up

Mar 20, 2008
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    [​IMG] I think mine are very smart - but they have trained me, rather than me training them. [​IMG] I've learned that's a lot less stressful on all of us that way.

Penny

8. amazondoc

amazondoc Cracked Egghead

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    Welcome!

I am excited about my upcoming flock as well. I am familiar with the work of the Baileys as well, and I'm looking forward to a few experiments with the hens. And if one of the roosters gets too fiesty, he's gonna get some first hand experience with aversive stimuli! [​IMG]

9. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    funny how we use "smart" to mean so many things. Chickens have so much intelligence people dont see because its not likeours, y'know? I am so excited to hear you click-trained chickens! I never even thght to try though it was fab for my dog. I'm out there with a clicker RIGHT NOW; you have inspired me!

brst of luck with your new crew:

10. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    I have no set out to train mine but man they train easily...they know their treat bowl, they know how to get the food out of the feeder when they feel it is too low. Amazing critters.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by