Chicken Treat Ideas?

mine won't touch bananas, but love most fruit. blueberries, blackberries, cantalope and mango are top of the list. non fruit favorite is probably rice

Mine love fresh or frozen fruit, fresh veggies (except green beans) right out of the garden, canned or frozen corn niblets and (especially) on the cob, mealworms, scratch, and especially the tiny, over-ripe tomatoes from the garden! Hubby locks himself in the garden to pick tomatoes cuz they’re soooooo crazy for them. He throws the really ripe ones over the fence into the yard and the chase is ON!

During cold weather, I add warm water and some Rooster Booster into their chicken chow to make a slurry and you’d think I brought them surf and turf!

:welcome :frow One factor is how many birds you have. I give my birds a seed/grain mixture and they get grit. When they see me with the treat bucket, they come running.

Mine like almost anything but they love any kind of bread scraps. We had a leftover pizza yesterday that I scraped everything off of and soakef in water for a few minutes and they were in heaven.

:welcome :frow One factor is how many birds you have. I give my birds a seed/grain mixture and they get grit. When they see me with the treat bucket, they come running.
Mine do too. In fact, that’s the only way to get them to come back into the run in the morning... rattle the treat bucket or start dumping out the rubber pans with the slurry. They’ll come running from an acre away!

Two questions:
a) what age should we start giving treats like fruit (grapes, berries, etc) to young girls?
Mine are currently 6 weeks old and don't get many treats yet.

b) On the same lines, is pineapple ok for chickens? Is the skin of pineapple ok? The core?

Thanks!!

Two questions:
a) what age should we start giving treats like fruit (grapes, berries, etc) to young girls?
Mine are currently 6 weeks old and don't get many treats yet.

b) On the same lines, is pineapple ok for chickens? Is the skin of pineapple ok? The core?

Thanks!!
Anything citrus isn't good. Pineapples are too strong. All regular fruits are okay. certain ones not the flesh.

Yeah, thanks!!
I JUST found an article here discussing what is good and not so good regarding fruits. It states citrus is a no-no.

Still can't find any answers about the "age" of when they should start getting treats and snacks.

Back
Top Bottom