Chicken treat ideas!

I live in texas, so ice in the summer is greatly aprieciated by my chickens. I like to get creative and put a bunch of different things in there. That sparked the question of what other people put, or do to help the hennies in the summer. So people, i want all your best ideas on what to put in treats.

I’ve been trying to find good ways to hang fruits and veggies for my girls for a year now and finally came across these hanging skewers. They are awesome. I spear chunks of watermelon or cucumbers and throw them in the freezer and take them out the next day for treats for the girls. Easy to clean too. Chicken Vegetable Hanging Feeder Toy for Hens Pet Chicken Veggies Skewer Fruit Holder for Hens Large Bird https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B08H4S2...abc_2GXBMDTH0Q2VDWFSEK60?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I like to freeze berries and vegetables in ice cubes and put them in a large shallow dish of water, like feed pans from TSC. It keeps the water cool and the birds can go "fishing" for treats!

I don't purchase special treat foods for my chickens and I don't give them the human food, but in the past week or two they've had:

Garden weeds of every non-toxic variety,
Cantaloupe guts and rinds,
Watermelon rinds,
Pepper cores,
Tomato trimmings,
Lettuce cores,
Carrot and cucumber peels,
A turkey carcass after I'd pulled all the meat I could get from it,
A roast bone after I'd cut all the meat I could get from it,
Half a cabbage that had wilted in the back of the fridge,
Several lettuce plants that had bolted in the garden,
A literal handful of scratch tossed into portions of the bedding that I wanted them to turn over (not more than twice a week),
And a modest amount of Dubia roaches.

Chicken food + water makes a good treat. Chickens seem to really like it.

My adults are completely uninterested in wet mash, but I started giving it to my chicks to help with their pasty-butt problem and they go nuts for it.

Back
Top Bottom