Chicken treats???

ChicklyManor_Manager

In the Brooder
Dec 15, 2020
My girls are in need of some treats and I’m quite stuck on what to give them 🤔

Any treats to give my chickens in the morning???
I currently have:
-Oats (LOTS!!)
-Apples/oranges/plums
-Plain yogurt
-Bread
-A variety of veg including sweet corn, peppers, tomatoes and onions
-Beef and rice leftover from lunch today

Any ideas???

The yogurt would be fine, as long as it isn't sweetend
Not sure about plums or apples
Oranges probably aren't a good idea
You can use bread but its not good for them
Everything else would be fine as long as it's less than 10% of their daily food!

The yogurt would be fine, as long as it isn't sweetend
Not sure about plums or apples
Oranges probably aren't a good idea
You can use bread but its not good for them
Everything else would be fine as long as it's less than 10% of their daily food!
This isn’t really helpful! I’m thinking of adding oats to the yoghurt and warming it up? I saw this being done somewhere 🤔

Try mixing some yogurt with their feed. I use yogurt, whey (from making yogurt), or water with the fines from their pellets to make a mash. They LOVE it! It's easy to serve warm for a treat in the cold weather.

Other treats I give are cut up grapes, watermelon (last summer), the guts and seeds from squash, fodder/sprouts, some weeds (they loved plantain and chickweed), snips of grass. Rarer treats are BOSS, mealworms, and once a week, the heel of a loaf of bread.

Try mixing some yogurt with their feed. I use yogurt, whey (from making yogurt), or water with the fines from their pellets to make a mash. They LOVE it! It's easy to serve warm for a treat in the cold weather.

Other treats I give are cut up grapes, watermelon (last summer), the guts and seeds from squash, fodder/sprouts, some weeds (they loved plantain and chickweed), snips of grass. Rarer treats are BOSS, mealworms, and once a week, the heel of a loaf of bread.
This helped a lot!!🙃🙃
I DO have some plantain that I’m prepared to give them!!!!

Fruit can give them loose poop...
Whatever treats you give, keep them at a minimum. (no more than 10% of total diet.) You don't want to dilute the nutrition they get from their regular feed. What I do is wait till the end of day when they've eaten most of their feed, then offer a few sunflower seeds.

Fruit can give them loose poop...
Whatever treats you give, keep them at a minimum. (no more than 10% of total diet.) You don't want to dilute the nutrition they get from their regular feed. What I do is wait till the end of day when they've eaten most of their feed, then offer a few sunflower seeds.
And if ur unable to access sunflower seeds??

Back
Top Bottom