Chicken treats

Fiona wynyard

Chirping
Apr 4, 2021
Hi I’m just after some basic info (there’s soo much out that that says different things)
When can I feed my baby chicks treats ?
How do I give them grit ?
What grit is best ?
What’s are good treats?
What can’t chicks have ?
Thanks in advance 🐣🐣xx

For grit you can give them “chick grit” you can find it at TSC or a similar store. For treats you can give them mind liked salad greens (lettuce,kale , ect) when they where little birds.

Also if you cut up and give them a peice of sod that is really good for them sense the soil is like grit and they can forage for bugs in it .

Chick starter food has grit in it. If they are less than 2 weeks old, hold off on treats, as they need the nutrients in their food at that critical time.

But... there is one treat that you can give any time, that they love! Take some of their food, and wet it into a mash. I put it in the palm of my hand and they were hesitant, but then the brave one tried it. Then they all came over and peck-peck-peck. It felt like getting tapped with half a dozen dull pencils. Fun for them and for me.

Treats shouldn't be more than about 10% of their food intake. Some things will affect their poop too, so be aware of that.

The sod idea is great. It will expose them to the ground they'll be living on. If there is grass, snip the blades down to short little bits, like 1/4-1/2". Grass is very fibrous and they can get an impacted crop from it.

For grit you can give them “chick grit” you can find it at TSC or a similar store. For treats you can give them mind liked salad greens (lettuce,kale , ect) when they where little birds.

Also if you cut up and give them a peice of sod that is really good for them sense the soil is like grit and they can forage for bugs in it .
Thank you 😊
Chick starter food has grit in it. If they are less than 2 weeks old, hold off on treats, as they need the nutrients in their food at that critical time.

But... there is one treat that you can give any time, that they love! Take some of their food, and wet it into a mash. I put it in the palm of my hand and they were hesitant, but then the brave one tried it. Then they all came over and peck-peck-peck. It felt like getting tapped with half a dozen dull pencils. Fun for them and for me.

Treats shouldn't be more than about 10% of their food intake. Some things will affect their poop too, so be aware of that.

The sod idea is great. It will expose them to the ground they'll be living on. If there is grass, snip the blades down to short little bits, like 1/4-1/2". Grass is very fibrous and they can get an impacted crop from it.
thank you I’m going to try the mash on my hand 😊

Back
Top Bottom