Chicken trouble keeping balance

German Chick

Chirping
Apr 7, 2020
Bahama, NC
My chickens are about 10 weeks old. I move them into a coop two weeks ago and everyone was doing well. I notice this morning that one of my chicks is walking strange. It looks like she is having trouble keeping herself balanced, she is taking small steps. She is keeping up with the rest of them just fine and eats well, overall looking healthy. Just that wobble that is concerning. I read that a vitamin deficiency can cause issues with balance. Already checked her feet for bumble foot but nothing like that. Anyone can help?

Can you take a video of her? Upload to youtube and provide a link.

You introduced the 10wks old to an established flock?
What are you feeding?

It won't hurt to give her some Poultry Nutri-Drench twice a day. For a 10wk old, I would give around .20ml direct dose twice a day.

Photos of poop may be useful as well.

We did not put her into an established flock. We got them all at the same time. Feeding Southern States "Traditions Chick &Grow medicated. They get treats such as lettuce, watermelon Strawberries and Tomatoes. She is the only one exhibiting problems. Going to try Nutri French.

Im thinking from the video that she has injured herself. Her gait does not seem to be neurological (illness or deficiency). I would give it a few days and see how she does. She does look healthy otherwise! Though this time of year, an electrolyte boost cant hurt!

My flock has given me a fit this week! Full Moon maybe! Good Luck.

Im thinking from the video that she has injured herself. Her gait does not seem to be neurological (illness or deficiency). I would give it a few days and see how she does. She does look healthy otherwise! Though this time of year, an electrolyte boost cant hurt!

My flock has given me a fit this week! Full Moon maybe! Good Luck.
Thank you 😊🐔💕
What electrolyte are you feeding?

Hard to tell what's going on with her. I would actually get her on B Vitamins. You can find B-Complex at Walmart, CVS, etc. Give her 1/4 tablet daily. Electrolytes *usually* do not have many vitamins.

Have you looked at her joints to see if there's any swelling? Nothing blocking her vent?
Could be injury or at her age a developmental issue or even disease is starting to present itself.

1591564817980.png

Back
Top Bottom