1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken trying to escape!!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by sunnie7, Mar 6, 2017.

1. sunnie7

sunnie7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2016
    I have 2 silkies and 3 bantams. Here's our set up and my recent problem ( look in the far back right of the picture) I usually let them out of the coop/ run area into just the chain linked area for most of the day but recently I started getting this brave girl getting up onto the fence! I don't want to net the top in because I won't be able to walk in there. Any suggestions. Will she wonder off or no?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
  2. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    She will come home at dark to roost. Or you could clip her wings.

3. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My chickens have flown (and sometimes walked) out of my run before but they don't go anywhere, they just hang around the perimeter. You could try clipping one wing on the potential escapee if you're concerned that she won't stick around.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Run a few thin floppy wires, starting at 3" above rail, along top of fence so they can't land on the top rail.
    ..or a foot or so of floppy topped chicken wire along top of fence...easy to jam some garden stakes into chainlink to hold chicken wire or wires.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by