Chicken trying to stand on the other chickens?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by karlamaria, Jun 10, 2011.

1. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    I'm not sure yet if one is a roo, but the behavior is weird. My hens are around 13 weeks old, and this little chicken comes out of the coop and try's to line up the others and will stretch his/ her neck and spar with another chicken several times . I noticed today the chicken was trying to climb onto another chicken, is this roo behavior? If so he has not crowed and it keeps me wondering what it's all about.

2. shellybean40

shellybean40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Boerne, TX
    It is all about dominance.

3. dougp23

dougp23 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2009
    Agree ^^.

I had a hen that would do this, she would climb on the back of another hen and pull on her comb! This usually occurred after the dominant one seemed to miss out on some food I put down, and the submissive one would eat most of it. Just seemed part of setting up the pecking order! Of course, if you're not sure of the sex, then yes, it could definitely be a rooster trying out his...uhm...skills.

4. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    The first chickens I had, had me convinced that one was a roo. She ended up just being the alpha of the group and liked controling everything and acting aggressively.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by