chicken TV in the coop

nwmud

Songster
10 Years
Mar 2, 2009
Everett, WA
taking Chicken TV to the next step.....
pop.gif

Curently in our "temp" coop we have a video baby monitor to keep track of the girls at night. I was wondering - what are people doing for cameras and such. I see these x10 cameras and lots of others. Who else is using security cameras in the coop and or run. even just arround the coop.
what works best?
what does not work?

I can get power to the coop - but wiring a camera will take a bit more effort - not ruling it out - just looking to see what works best.

thoughts - ideas?
wee.gif

I don't have any cameras out in my coop currently, but wanted to add that some of the wireless security cameras are GREAT.

I rent out rooms in my home and a couple years ago had a creepy tenant that I had to evict but it took him 30 days to get out. I didn't trust him at my home alone while I was at work. (He had lost his job).

I mail ordered three wireless cameras. Wireless, in that they send the picture signal wirelessly to your TV or PC. The camera's still require AC or battery but the battery doesn't last long.

LOVED them. Down side is the wireless signal is the same as your wireless PC router (2.5 ghz?).

To use the cameras, I had to wire the laptops to the router.

You just gave me an idea. I wish I'd kept an old TV console cabinet we took to the thrift store. I could have made "Chicken TV" out of it by building nest boxes into it!
pop.gif

Last edited:
Chicken Cam from Cape Cod is coming soon. Power is run, conduit in place - just deciding whether to go wireless or hard wired. I may just try those X10 cameras to see if they foot the bill. I want to have a two camera system, one will be able to move left, right, up and down and that will be mounted outside to cover the coop and run from the outside as well as most of the backyard. The other will be a stationary mount inside to keep an eye on the girls and perhaps get an amazing egg laying stream at some point. I am surprised there aren't more chicken cams out there!
Of course, if I spend another dime on any of this my wife will shoot me so I am going to have to ask you all to keep this between me and YOU!
yippiechickie.gif

x10 is a wireless security camera set up. there are several packages available - www.x10.com is one place that sells these cameras.

You can get them with a base that allows you to move the camera - I like that. I have never personally used these cameras and have heard some people like them. I am not sure about the night vision capability.

has anyone used the night vision of the x10 or other cameras before?
My baby monitor has great night vision but not the best reception. it is other blurry and full of static. we have to hold the reciever just right to get a clear view.

This is why I am looking for a better system to use. and besides maybe one day I can put the cameras on-line and view them from work
wink.png

This has been on my mind so I'm subscribing to see what info folks add to the thread. One thing that needs to be noted is that the X10 cameras and other wireless cameras are basically going to have a range of ~100 feet. Some cameras and locations more, some less. The ghz transmissions are "line of sight"meaning it will be best if both antennas (receiver and transmitter) can "see" each other.

I'm probably leaning more to a hardwired camera setup....maybe use an old 8mm camcorder picked up cheap at a pawnshop or something.
smile.png

Ed

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom