Chicken unable to breath falling over any advice please

Boergoatlover

Chirping
Jul 30, 2020
Some of you may have seen my recent posts about sick hens in my flock. A sample showed a small amount of coccidiosis eggs which has made my older girls very sick. They are now on treatment.

However Agatha this evening is struggling to stand falling over etc. I do not know if this is related to coccidiosis but she also have an ovarian tumour which has been pressing on her lung. She goes for regular check ups and at her last one the vet was happy she was comfortable and pain free, the plan is when she is not I have her put to sleep. This evening she was dust bathing and she suddenly jumped up, I noticed she was gasping which she does when she is stressed. However she was also falling over. I picked her up and she could walk but every few steps kept stumbling. I’ve put her into the coop she is breathing very heavy and she sort of looks up to the sky and twists her neck backwards.

Unfortunately being a Friday night my vets is shut and we have no emergency vets that can help chickens. Firstly is there anything I can do to make sure she’s comfortable, she’s had 1ml loxicom which the vet gave us for if she was having a bad day and I’ve given her some bisolovin incase she has a mucus build up. Other than making her comfortable is there any chance I can do something to save her ? Is this her tumour or is this coccidiosis?

I attach a photo her comb is not purple and she’s not massively gasping but I couldn’t catch her throwing her head.

Thank you for any advice at all. I know im
So lucky she’s here nearly 2 years post tumour diagnosis but I don’t want her to be uncomfortable and I’d really love to have her with me for as long as I can so if there is anything I could do.

Attachments

• E80C7D86-F632-4F96-8252-29A343D7B0FE.jpeg
    E80C7D86-F632-4F96-8252-29A343D7B0FE.jpeg
    596.5 KB · Views: 16
I forgot to add the vet has her on metronidazole I’ve just had a quick Google it’s renound for causing neurological symptoms

Back
Top Bottom