Chicken unable to move and drink/eat

Lightbrahmalover

Chirping
Sep 4, 2020
Several of my chickens (2-3yrs old) have been dying due to some sort of disease or sickness. It starts out with the hens not moving, and then completely unable to stand. Ive had 4 different hens die from this. They usually die a week within first looking sickly. 2 days ago, I had a Plymouth hen look very pale, and she had stopped moving, she also was very light weight. I quarantined her, and she was still able to move. She ate food. The next day later, she stopped moving and eating. Today when I checked on her she was barely able to hold herself up. She tried to drink water, but she did this weird thing with her neck. She is still pooping, but she can’t seem to get her butt off the ground. I attached a video of her trying to drink. Any idea of what’s going on and how to prevent it?

Several of my chickens (2-3yrs old) have been dying due to some sort of disease or sickness. It starts out with the hens not moving, and then completely unable to stand. Ive had 4 different hens die from this. They usually die a week within first looking sickly. 2 days ago, I had a Plymouth hen look very pale, and she had stopped moving, she also was very light weight. I quarantined her, and she was still able to move. She ate food. The next day later, she stopped moving and eating. Today when I checked on her she was barely able to hold herself up. She tried to drink water, but she did this weird thing with her neck.
Have you brought in new birds recently?
Any feed get moldy or have they been in a compost pile, exposed to something rotten, dead or toxic?

You've lost several over how long of a period of time? Months, within weeks of each other or? What's the timeline?

It's probably time to send a body to your state lab for analysis if you are losing quite a few in a short period of time, this will give you information about what's causing and then you can make corrections or give treatment if necessary.

Is that oatmeal in her bowl? Does she normally eat poultry feed? If so, what type (layer, all flock, etc.)?

Is her crop emptying overnight?

The neck movement look neurological, hard to know what's causing it, could be Marek's disease, vitamin/nutritional deficiency or ???

I'd start her on 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily. Offer a little egg to help with the uptake of E.

Back
Top Bottom