Chicken under Gazebo downtown.....

sab

Crowing
13 Years
Jul 28, 2010
Ripley, WV
I suppose I will have to rescue it in the AM. Need advice -- this might not even be a wise thing to do. Yes, I have chickens. It's a silkie. I saw it but it wouldn't come out from under the gazebo... it was well after dark and the bird preferred to roost than respond to me. No, I don't have silkies... wait that's a double negative .... but still I don't own silkies. I have 25 birds.... All hens. Yes, I live in the city limits.... So... Should I or not? Will the other birds never give it peace? I know I should isolate it for 2 weeks to be sure it's healthy. Then there is the challenging task of integrating the lone silkie to the flock of 25. BTW, I have 3 birds that were hatched by a broody this summer and those 3 birds are too scarred to even leave the coop.... at all.... unless I release all the chickens out to free range, then the 3 stow-aways will come out into the run and play. But as soon as the other 22 come in the run, they fly back into the coop. So I have 3 coop chickens that are pooping the coop. And I don't want another coop chicken. Anyone have any luck integrating a lone chicken with a sizable flock???? Appreciate the feed back.... THANKS!

If you aren't sure you want to attempt rescuing the silkie, you could call animal control. This little thing could be someone's lost pet. If you do rescue it and want to keep it at home at least for a while, you could put up flyers and ask around if someone has lost one.

I've never had a silkie but we did get a small breed bird as a "freebie" with a hatchery order and that little guy put up with a lot of pecking from our larger dual-purpose birds.

Poor thing, I would have to rescue it. At least it wont be too hard to catch, since its a Silkie. I keep mine separate from my other fowl, but lots of folks keep them in a mixed flock. It may go easier if it is a rooster.

Good luck. I hope you post pictures when you finally nab it (and I hope you do catch it, chances are it wont last long on its own :( ).

Chicken rescued! I put HER (no roo) on FaceBook and folks spread the word. I would have gone down to get her this AM but sometime during the night a local person I know went and was able to get her out. She must have moved close enough that they could grab her through the lattice around the base of the gazebo. I couldn't reach her earlier. She's now living on a farm and even laid an egg this AM so she must not be too stressed. All is good....

Back
Top Bottom