Chicken unexplained/unexpected death

jaclyncarneal

Chirping
Sep 21, 2016
Md
Message_1505739052914.jpg
So my hen "big mama" died abruptly a few days ago. I have scoured the internet, and called local farmers to no avail. She was eating, drinking, and using the bathroom as usual. She was head of the flock and theres no sign it was a chicken fight. I checked for predators to no avail. It happened between dusk and dawn when she was locked in the coop (quite literally with a padlock and no acess to the outside). No broken bones, blood, or loss of feathers. She had only just began laying about 20 days ago, so she was young. No signs of illness. Found her face down stiff next to a water dish at 7:50 am. 2Nd photo was a day or so before her untimely death. Is this a fluke? Do i have to worry for my other chickens? Could i have done something to save her?

Attachments

• 20170724_091931.jpg
    20170724_091931.jpg
    702.6 KB · Views: 4
Also the wires run to fans. The coop never gets above 80° so i know its not heat that killed her. We have fans blowing out and in for circulation. Its well ventilated also.

Sometimes chickens just die for no apparent reason most commonly at the chick stage but also for older ones. I had a young adult fine in the AM and was doing the best imitation of a 2x4 when I got home in the evening. It just happens and without an expensive post mortem by a vet it's impossible to know and sometimes the cause eludes them also.

I will say loose wires like you have is a problem waiting to occur. A few pieces of 1/2" pvc would eliminate a lot of potential problems

@jaclyncarneal I'm sorry to hear about your loss:hugs

I agree with @Fairview01 chickens can die suddenly from so many things, there is no way to know what caused her death without further testing/necrospy.
If you happen to lose another in a short period of time, it would be best to send the body to your state lab http://mda.maryland.gov/AnimalHealth/Pages/laboratory.aspx

I also agree, it's a good idea to contain the loose drop cords controlling your fans, chickens have a way to get into all sorts of trouble. Fans are great for coops, I use one myself.

Ruthie Bader Hensburg, One of my three month old chicks died in the night . I went out to “tuck them in” before I went to bed as usual. It was a couple hours after dark but they were all awake huddled together on their roost as they like to do. She was on the next roost down from the other 9 but that is not too unusual. When I went out to open the door to the run about an hour after sunrise she was stiff and cold on the concrete floor with no apparent injuries. I know this is part of keeping animals and I probably will not find an answer but I thought someone might think of something I missed.

Back
Top Bottom