Chicken unknown injury after predator attack

chicken_fan48

Hatching
Jul 25, 2022
Hello, I have been watching this forum for a long time but only today I have decided to create an account since I don't know what has happened to a chicken.

Today a predator (either a hawk or fox) has attacked my mother's chickens and ducks, it took one duck with no trace and injured a chicken that I have found laying on it's side kicking its legs constantly and not standing up. I have separated it from the flock and put it inside a box and given it food and water which he doesn't consume.

I have tried to look for a wound myself but the chicken constantly kept kicking its legs and couldn't get a good view, the wound seems to be very small. My brother says that it's somewhere around the vent area upwards or downwards, I have inspected him and it started screeching when touching it downwards in the middle near the thighs and felt something wet.

I have dealt with other post-predator attacks where one chicken has been hit in the head twice and went in shock but it's still is alive today, just not this kind of thing. I have no what is wrong with him.

I will soon upload a image of the chicken from my phone.

For reference he is 4 weeks

Last edited:
IMG_20220725_210647.jpg
IMG_20220725_210642.jpg

Can you wrap her in a towel and try to give her sweetened water, this will help with shock. Wrap her in a towel snuggly but not too tight and examine the wound. flus it out with saline, trim any feathers if you need to to make sure there's nothing hidden spray with bacitryn and then cover with Neosporin. Then place her in a semi dark warm comfy place for 12 hours. Try taking her out to give her sweetened water every couple of hours. Check the wound as well, you want to reduce risk of infection, esp puncture wounds. They fester really fast.

Clean the wound three times a day for first two days, then two times a day I'll you see it's healing up nicely, and then once a day until it's closed up.

Back
Top Bottom