Chicken unstable on his feet

Chicken56288

In the Brooder
Apr 2, 2022
There isn't much to say about this but I'm concerned for my buddy chili face I'm not sure what breed he is but he is a barred rock with brown spots in him but he has always been real "loose" and floppy today it was real bad to the point he was laying down and when my dad picked him up he fell down like a couple second after he flipped over again after that my dad pointed out to me how he is real light like he has no weight at all but he has always been like that we separated him and gave him some food and water he's all good and sleeping now but I'm just concerned anyone go answers?

I recommend a thorough check for lice/mites. Also visually inspect and feel both legs & feet for cuts, bruises, swelling, or heat. It would be a good idea to separate him from the flock so he can get to food. A small enclosure like a dog crate would force him to rest. Monitor his food and water intake, keep an eye out for abnormal poos, and make sure his crop is full at night and empty in the morning.

I'm not an expert, but the following questions can help more experienced members help you:
Have you added any new birds to your flock? What does he eat, including treats? Any possibility he could have been exposed to moldy feed? Do you notice any facial swelling or discharge? Do his eyes look normal? Do his poops look normal?

I went through something similar with a cockerel. Familiarizing yourself with the signs of Mareks and Mycoplasma Synovae would be a good precaution. I found human Vitamin E and B Complex helped a little, but my lil guy did not recover. If he has had problems long-term you may be dealing with a congenital issue, a leg or neurological injury.

Give him water with electrolytes. Try some scrambled egg and wet chicken feed to offer to get him eating. Do you have other cockerels or roosters who may be keeping him from feed and water? Have you wormed your chickens recently? What do his poops look like?

I recommend a thorough check for lice/mites. Also visually inspect and feel both legs & feet for cuts, bruises, swelling, or heat. It would be a good idea to separate him from the flock so he can get to food. A small enclosure like a dog crate would force him to rest. Monitor his food and water intake, keep an eye out for abnormal poos, and make sure his crop is full at night and empty in the morning.

I'm not an expert, but the following questions can help more experienced members help you:
Have you added any new birds to your flock? What does he eat, including treats? Any possibility he could have been exposed to moldy feed? Do you notice any facial swelling or discharge? Do his eyes look normal? Do his poops look normal?

I went through something similar with a cockerel. Familiarizing yourself with the signs of Mareks and Mycoplasma Synovae would be a good precaution. I found human Vitamin E and B Complex helped a little, but my lil guy did not recover. If he has had problems long-term you may be dealing with a congenital issue, a leg or neurological injury. he eats corn and another mixed feed my dad
Give him water with electrolytes. Try some scrambled egg and wet chicken feed to offer to get him eating. Do you have other cockerels or roosters who may be keeping him from feed and water? Have you wormed your chickens recently? What do his poops look like?
I'm not sure what his poops look like he is eating but I noticed something today we took him back outside to the flock and he flopped over again like he was gonna pass out we took him back inside and he was perfectly fine should he just be a inside chicken?

Back
Top Bottom