Chicken Vaccinations

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by Kimmy Bear, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Kimmy Bear

Kimmy Bear New Egg

Apr 12, 2012
    I only plan on having a max of 3 chickens I don't own any yet, how much is it usually to get a chicken vaccinated and what are the standard vaccinations? do they need them every year? I currently don't get my indoor parrots vaccinated do I need to get them vaccinated too? Is anyone from around Ferndale MI where do you take your chickens for this?

2. groundpecker

groundpecker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Rison, Arkansas
    You can buy the vaccines yourself and give them. Jefferspet. com sells vaccines. Because you have a small flock, it might not be worth your money to vaccinate them. If you take them to a vet, you will be looking at least $150. The vet will have to order the vaccines and administer them.

1 person likes this.
  3. Nambroth

Nambroth Fud Lady

Apr 7, 2011
    Boonies of NY
    My Coop
    Where will your chicks come from? Many hatcheries offer to do Merek's vaccination for an extra fee, for you. Here's some reading for you:
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/377/small-flock-vaccination

As for vaccinating your parrots, well, no! There are no real vaccinations that are appropriate for pet parrots. Scroll down to the birds section: http://www.wellvet.com/vaccine_protocols.htm

Can your parrots get ill if your chickens are ill? Yes. This is why it is so important to practice good husbandry in keeping your coop and chicken areas clean-- but more importantly, and at a minimum, always wash your hands and change shoes when you come inside from tending to your chickens. Some people also change their clothes. I don't unless I have been cleaning the coop and have chicken dust on them, but it really matters how cautious you want to be.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by