Chicken Vent Issue

Above are images of my brooder and the chick and droppings. I also just noticed that my feed bag on the bottom says 9MAR05 on it (it did not have a tag when I bought it) Could that mean it is expired?

They are actually 7 days old.

The tempature is currently between 90-95 as we raised it because it was getting over a 100. We have them in a refurbished washing machine box with plenty of space to get away from heat (about half the box). I put the heat lamp on one end and the water and feed on the other eventually.

The ones that died acted like they couldn’t poop so I don’t have any from them and this newest death had a full crop

My question is How would they have gotten coccidia if they’ve never been outside and on medicated feed?

If that is a Purina Label - the date would be March 5, 2019 when it was milled/bagged.
It should be o.k. - does it smell o.k.?

Are they avoiding the heat at all? I would watch to see if they are overheating.
See that everyone is eating/drinking well.

Chicks can have an overload of Coccidiosis even while on medicated feed and while being in a brooder. Coccidia is found in poop and soil, is flourished in warm moist environments - a brooder is actually ideal for Coccidia especially around water stations that may have spilled, in water stations where chicks poop in them - yep, chicks do poop in water, it happens. If they are on medicated feed, only clean up damp spots - read your tag - they need to be exposed to their poop. Yes, this means that chicks will probably eat/taste a little poop - that is how Coccidia is spread - ingestion of the oocysts. Purina medicated chick starter contains a very low amount of Amprolium/Amprol - the same ingredient as Corid - this acts as a Thiamine (B1) blocker/mimicker which starves out Coccidia allowing the chicks to build resistance. Sometimes it's not enough if the chicks encounter a large number of oocysts in their environment.

All that said --- I would tinker with/adjust that temperature to make sure the chicks are not overheating. If you lose more, then I would get some Corid and use it.

If that is a Purina Label - the date would be March 5, 2019 when it was milled/bagged.

Are they avoiding the heat at all? I would watch to see if they are overheating.

Chicks can have an overload of Coccidiosis even while on medicated feed and while being in a brooder. Coccidia is found in poop and soil, is flourished in warm moist environments - a brooder is actually ideal for Coccidia especially around water stations that may have spilled, in water stations where chicks poop in them - yep, chicks do poop in water, it happens. If they are on medicated feed, only clean up damp spots - read your tag - they need to be exposed to their poop. Yes, this means that chicks will probably eat/taste a little poop - that is how Coccidia is spread - ingestion of the oocysts. Purina medicated chick starter contains a very low amount of Amprolium/Amprol - the same ingredient as Corid - this acts as a Thiamine (B1) blocker/mimicker which starves out Coccidia allowing the chicks to build resistance. Sometimes it's not enough if the chicks encounter a large number of oocysts in their environment.

All that said --- I would tinker with/adjust that temperature to make sure the chicks are not overheating. If you lose more, then I would get some Corid and use it.

. I just went out to check all are spread out pecking (in poop probably lol) so the exposure is happening and the temp is all good. Eating and drinking and making messes but the two that died were too before they got sick which is what concerns me. And yes I believe it is 19 not 9 but when you are freaked out you look at everything. Smells like feed not mouldy or anything. I’m going to get some corid to have on hand. Thank you for helping. Will update.

Currently all eleven left are doing fine. Eating, Drinking, and Pooping. Scratching around in the bedding and making messes. Fingers crossed those 2 were the last of the losses. Thank you for the assistance!

Update on this thread: All 11 are growing just fine for now. What I really think helped was get rid of the electrolytes in the water. I think it was inhibiting them from something.

Back
Top Bottom