Chicken Vent Issue

LibbyR

Songster
Mar 11, 2017
Hello I have a 5 day old chick with a red area on its vent that’s protruding. It’s not much but a little and it must be bothering the chick because it’s chirping loud. It was eating and drinking and pooping some. I cleaned and applied some prep H and TA ointment to it and some of the inflammation has gone down but the chick still acts off. Not getting pecked as there’s no blood drawn. I couldn’t get a very clear picture so my best description is a little bit of inflamed skin on the top part of the vent.

Hello I have a 5 day old chick with a red area on its vent that’s protruding. It’s not much but a little and it must be bothering the chick because it’s chirping loud. It was eating and drinking and pooping some. I cleaned and applied some prep H and TA ointment to it and some of the inflammation has gone down but the chick still acts off. Not getting pecked as there’s no blood drawn. I couldn’t get a very clear picture so my best description is a little bit of inflamed skin on the top part of the vent.
Is the chick able to poop?
It sounds like it may have a little bit of prolapse. Could be constipated?
Try to get a picture if you can.

You can try soaking the vent in a little cup of warm espsom salts water to help soothe the area. Dry well and keep your chick warm. Apply your ointment.
If the chick is not pooping well or it seems to hurt to go - give her a little coconut or mineral oil. Make sure she's drinking well. Wet chick starter may also be given to eat instead of dry crumbles.

Keep us posted.

Is the chick able to poop?
It sounds like it may have a little bit of prolapse. Could be constipated?
Try to get a picture if you can.

You can try soaking the vent in a little cup of warm espsom salts water to help soothe the area. Dry well and keep your chick warm. Apply your ointment.
If the chick is not pooping well or it seems to hurt to go - give her a little coconut or mineral oil. Make sure she's drinking well. Wet chick starter may also be given to eat instead of dry crumbles.

Keep us posted.
It’s been able to poop and I used some oil and gently pushed in it with a qtip and it looks better. When I left them they were all sleeping sound no loud cheeping. Thank you for your concern. These chicks have been unusually hard from the start.

Update: It survived the night. Still acts weak but will peck and scratch in the feed and eat so I don’t know if she just had a hard time yesterday and just is tired or what. The butt looks less inflamed.

Update: It survived the night. Still acts weak but will peck and scratch in the feed and eat so I don’t know if she just had a hard time yesterday and just is tired or what. The butt looks less inflamed.
Is she drinking well? I would get some Poultry Nutri-Drench into her a couple of times a day.

Update: She passed away last night. She was eating and drinking and pooping so I don’t understand. I lost another too. I’m wondering if there coccidia overload or something. They did get overheated the day before this one got sick and I had to put a white light in could that have caused something?

I'm sorry for your loss :hugs
Can you post some photos of your brooder set-up, the chicks and their poop?

What is the temperature in your brooder? Only one spot that's warm right, the rest of the brooder is cool?
What are you feeding, including any treats?
Where did the chicks come from?

At 5 days old, it's possible it could be Coccidiosis. Do you have any Corid?

Dosage is 1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder or 2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid liquid per gallon of water. Give for 5-7 days - make sure this is the ONLY water available during that time period. Mix a fresh batch at least once a day.

I'm sorry for your loss :hugs
Can you post some photos of your brooder set-up, the chicks and their poop?

What is the temperature in your brooder? Only one spot that's warm right, the rest of the brooder is cool?
What are you feeding, including any treats?
Where did the chicks come from?

At 5 days old, it's possible it could be Coccidiosis. Do you have any Corid?

Dosage is 1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder or 2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid liquid per gallon of water. Give for 5-7 days - make sure this is the ONLY water available during that time period. Mix a fresh batch at least once a day.
They are actually 7 days old. I don’t have Corid yet but I think my feed store might so I will go and look. We are going to call the hatchery and ask if we are doing something wrong as this is the 6th one to die although two were DOA from Murray Mcmurray Hatchery. The tempature is currently between 90-95 as we raised it because it was getting over a 100. We have them in a refurbished washing machine box with plenty of space to get away from heat (about half the box). I put the heat lamp on one end and the water and feed on the other eventually. I’ve raised chicks before and their poop is just normal brown droppings so nothing too exciting there. The ones that died acted like they couldn’t poop so I don’t have any from them and this newest death had a full crop. They are eating Purina Medicated Chick Starter which I’ve always fed my chicks and it was a unopened bag from the feed store. Quick Chick vitamins/electrolytes from Mcmurray Hatchery in the water made fresh three times a day. On pine shavings. I did notice that they jump on each other and peck the weak ones so I’m wondering if they could have killed her. The others are not fluffed up or anything and are running wild all over. My question is How would they have gotten coccidia if they’ve never been outside and on medicated feed?

Last edited:
BCEAA104-DB8F-4460-8676-CB31344ADCB9.jpeg
A9A5E7B7-AE12-4F97-98F1-CAB1A3976AC1.jpeg
2D51F0C7-7E32-47CE-8698-9221D613E917.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom