Vent Greek or egg bound?

Wolf27

In the Brooder
Jul 7, 2023
I’m very new to chickens-I have 12 week old chicks and then recently added mature sebrights best guess 1.5-2 years old (as well as a couple other birds) to my flock about a month ago.

She’s acting out of character today- neck scrunched down wings lowered and squatting /pushing. Upon inspection her vent area isn’t red but there was a little bit of white mucus. Everything pictured below.

I know egg production for sebrights goes down in the summer so I’m not entirely sure which one is laying eggs but last week we did have some thin/paper like shells and they’ve been dropping them from their roosts at night since the get go.

Unsure if it’s early stages of vent gleet or if she’s egg bound. Any recommendations on treatment would also be helpful. Thank you in advance!
6B3B9E6B-E505-4FBE-903B-14099DCA3843.jpeg
57073119-8CCB-4962-87D0-D33CB3A7B858.jpeg
D757AE66-00DE-4967-ABB2-DC40AE286173.jpeg

You can palpate around her vent/abdomen gently to see if you can feel an egg. You can also put on gloves and lubricate your finger and gently check inside for an egg. You want to be very careful not to break an egg if it’s there.

If you can watch her for awhile, if she is pooping then she probably isn’t egg-bound. The egg and the poop come out the same exit so if the egg is stuck, they can’t poop.

You can give her a human calcium supplement which may help if it is egg-related. The ones for osteoporosis are good or an antacid like tums works in a pinch.

An epsom salt bath in a dark quiet place can also help them relax to get a stuck egg out.

You can use a makeup pad or paper towel soaked in coconut oil to clean up her vent area. It doesn’t look gleety to me.

Check her crop in the morning as well to make sure it’s emptying.

I'd get some Calcium citrate into her asap, likely she's having trouble expelling an egg.

You can find Calcium Citrate with D3 in the vitamin aisle of stores like Walmart, CVS, etc. Give 1 tablet daily, just pull down on her wattles, pop the tablet into the beak and let her swallow.

Work on keeping her hydrated.

Back
Top Bottom