Chicken vertigo and enlarged crop

Jacob sandborg

In the Brooder
May 24, 2019
Hello I have a rooster about a year old he has head tilted he has vertigo and crop looks massively swollen. I am not sure what is going on. A few other chickens came down with a respiratory infection. He looked terrible been 2 weeks but his crop has gone down but still vertigo and head slightly tilted, gotten better in the last few days. He eats and drinks fine. Just concerned dont want to put him down.

Does the crop feel hard or gooey?

It sounds like he has sour crop or a crop impaction, probably from whatever illness is going on, or the illness has cause some sort of malabsorption issue and he’s now suffering from a vitamin deficiency on top of the infection and crop problem.

It sounds like he has sour crop or a crop impaction, probably from whatever illness is going on, or the illness has cause some sort of malabsorption issue and he’s now suffering from a vitamin deficiency on top of the infection and crop problem.
It does not feel hard. It's more on the gooey side.

How do I rememdy the vitamin issue? Thanks for your help.

It does not feel hard. It's more on the gooey side.

How do I rememdy the vitamin issue? Thanks for your help.
I’m not sure where you are so I don’t know what would be available in your area, but a human multi vitamin dissolved in water would work.
Great options if you can find them are rooster booster poultry cell, sav-a-chic, poultry nutri-drench, along with a b vitamin mix.

First the crop situation needs to be resolved, if it’s gooey it sounds like sour crop, which is an infection.
Here’s a great article about diagnosing and treating sour crop.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ngly-effective-updated.1451264/#post-24151741

Back
Top Bottom