Chicken very ill, need help.

JHillgrove

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 2, 2011
Snohomish, WA
So I have a chicken who is just about 20 weeks, I found her a couple days ago laying on the floor of the chicken coop. Its almost like she is paralyzed because she cant move her wings or legs, besides an occasional quiver. But her neck was fine and the fist day I put her in a dog kennel with food and water next to her head, she attacked the food and water with obvious hunger. I have never had an egg bound hen but I felt around her belly but didnt feel anything but a ribcage.
That night I went to check on her and she was stiff and her head was not moving, so I thought she had died, but I left her in the dog kennel thinking I would take care of her body in the morning, but by morning she was moving her head and was still alive!
I picked her up and where her body had been was completely wet, I don't think it was poop that's making her wet, because her poop seems normal, besides it being stuck to her feathers because she is laying on her side. I gave her fresh food and water and she ate and drank again this morning. Then I went to check on her this evening and she is still alive, but was wet again underneath her.
I read a couple threads, who mentioned the symptoms of Mereks, which could be it, but she doesn't have the eyes turning color, her eyes are normal chicken color. I don't know that she was vaccinated because I got her when she was 10 weeks old by a friend.
I am not sure what I can do, I am almost thinking I should put her out of her misery, unless there is someway to save her. But it seems so crazy that if she were really that ill, that she would still be alive.
What should I do?

Wow, I have no idea what is going on. Apparently several other people didn't, either, as they read your post without replying. The fluid can't be good if it is coming from her. Putting her out of her misery would seem to be a reasonable choice.

Back
Top Bottom